October 16, 2006 | by  | in Books |

John Ashbery (1927- )

Born in Rochester, New York and raised on a farm near Lake Ontario, Ashbery’s first ambition was to be a painter. Sadly, instead of painting, Ashbery became a poet and has since won nearly every major American award for his poetry, beginning with the Yale Younger Poets Prize in 1956, selected by W. H. Auden, for his first collection, Some Trees. At high school he read the likes of Auden, Dylan Thomas, and Wallace Stevens. His early work shows the influence of these poets, as well as French Surrealists (he has extensively translated French literature). In the late 1950s, Ashbery became one of New York’s avant-garde darlings along with Kenneth Koch, Frank O’Hara, James Schuyler, Barbara Guest, Kenward Elmslie and others. However, Ashbery soon wearied of the big apple and moved to Paris, at which point he began to transform from an obscure experimentalist into one of America’s most important (though also most controversial) poets.

Ashbery’s writing is famously difficult to read due to its disjunctive syntax, and extensive linguistic play. However, it’s also playful and rewarding, often infused with humour, and sometimes a flat or parodic tone. He was the poet laureate of New York state from 2001 to 2003.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos