Make Your Halo Shine – A Message From Gecko

Unfortunately, lots of the environmental messages out there are huge in scale and it often feels easier to ignore then and tuck a little bit of guilt aside than to actually try and address them. But every problem can be broken down and tackled bit by bit, and here’s where you come in….

JUNK MAIL. Yes, junk mail. Remember those ‘no circulars’ stickers your Nana used to have on the letterbox? Well these are actually the key to doing your little bit for our environment.

Most of the junk mail that clutters up our letterboxes is crap and ends up in the rubbish without even being looked at. And there’s loads of it. Over a week, one household studied received five kgs of it.

But the GOOD NEWS (and there’s always good news) is that even if you want to receive it, all junk mail can be recycled, so at least do that.

However, even better, by sticking or painting a ‘no circulars’ sign on your letterbox you will be contributing to the following positives:

• Making ‘no circulars’ stickers the next hot thing to have on your house (environmentalism is sexy don’t you know)

• Save money – you won’t be tempted to buy stuff you don’t need

• Prevent at least 30kgs of rubbish being distributed into your letterbox each year

• Be part of helping us to address our waste management problems and saving thousands of trees a year from being used for such wasteful means instead of being used for useful stuff, like sucking in CO2 and pumping out fresh oxygen just for you

SO HERE ARE THE STEPS YOU CAN TAKE

1. Pick up a ‘no circulars’ sticker free from outside the VUWSA office or from the Gecko stall in the quad on October 3.

2. Paint your own personalised ‘no circulars’ message on your letterbox

3. Buy one from any hardware store like Mitre 10 or Hammer Hardware Easy as that! And thanks for helping to make New Zealand just that bit healthier.