Need a Haircut?

VUWSA is encouraging students to get into the spirit of fundraising, by hosting a “Funrazor” event in cooperation with the Child Cancer Foundation on Wednesday.

The event is inspired by the annual Child Cancer Foundation’s Appeal Week that took place earlier this year. Campus Activities coordinator Dusty McLoughlin, explains that students will be able to nominate and financially support friendsto publicly let hairdressing students shave off their hair.

Money raised will be donated to the Child Cancer Foundation, and their work to support children and their families as well as research in the area of child cancer.

Bob Knighton, the Funding Development Manager for the Foundation says “our goal is to provide support for the families affected by the disease and ultimately eradicate childhood cancer as the killer it is by extending research in the area.”

The event has been promoted through the university hostels and within the university’s faculties.

Although Knighton is aware that students live off scarce financial resources, he believes that students have an awareness of the issue and holds great excitement for people’s interest and the outcome of the funrazor event.

VUWSA Welfare Vice-President Jules “Sausage Boy” van Cruysen, despite not having much hair in the first place, has put his name forward for the event. He says “it’s a really fun way to promote this cause and it does attract a lot of attention. And who can say no to a child with cancer?”

The event will take place between 12 and 2 in the Quad.

If you would like to shave your head and raise money for the Child cancer Foundation, please contact Activities co-ordinator Dusty by email at dusty @ vuwsa.org.nz.