October 3, 2006 | by  | in Online Only |

Newsflash: VUWSA Election results!

It was a long wait for the VUWSA election results last night. Like, a fucking hour. The Salient team turned up at Eastside at six on the dot, and was then – gasp – forced to socialise with wannabe student politicians until the results came out at seven. James kept whinging about how hungry he was. Caroline Prendergast was already drunk. No surprises there.

But anyway, the results. Geoff “the Maori” Hayward is now the President elect, having beaten incumbent Nick Kelly by about 160 votes. Gareth Robinson and Fa’afetai Ta’ase both got owned, but that wasn’t exactly unexpected. Geoff ran a highly energetic and personal campaign, laying the blame for the problems VUWSA has had this year at Nick’s feet. So let’s just hope he can deliver where he argued Nick failed.

Geoff looked more than a little surprised at the result, and Nick, well, he looked like he’d been kicked in the guts.

Joel Cosgrove, who was running against No Confidence for the Education Vice-President, was returned to his position by 210 votes – the lowest margin any of the candidates had over No Confidence. His “lover” Heleyni Pratley was elected to Welfare Vice-President by ten votes, narrowly beating Anna Duggan. Caroline Prendergast was punished for her – shall we say – approach to exec politics, receiving what could only be called a pasting, with almost 200 votes less than Heleyni.

Many voters found the pirate platform of Treasurer candidate Ryan Parry attractive, but he lost out to the seriousness of Alexander Nielsen, who also got elected to the general exec but has chosen to stick with the financial side of things. Maybe his campaign was being secretly funded by ninjas, who knows.

Alexander choosing the money rather than the bag means that the lowest polling candidate for general exec – Christopher Renwick – will now receive a position on the executive. Having spoken to a number of people involved in VUWSA, Renwick’s election is perhaps the greatest worry for next year. Aside from his questionable past involvement in other organisations, he has a reputation for being difficult to work with – a concern that some VUWSA staff have already voiced.

International, Queer, Environmental and Women’s Officer were all pretty unsurprising, with No Confidence and Clelia Opie both taking a thrashing. Cordelia Black was returned to Council Rep after running no campaign, against three very promising candidates. I’m picking it’s because she has boobs. And Nicholas O’Kane was unseated from the Publications Committee by Christopher Bishop, who strutted around Eastside last night proudly sporting a Margaret Thatcher hoodie.

So there you have it. The people have spoken.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. peteremcc says:

If anyone wants the full results with number of votes etc, i’ve posted them here:
    http://peteremcc.wordpress.com/2006/10/02/vuwsa-election-results/

Peter

2. CC says:

The boob factor won Cordelia Black my vote. I am shallow like a puddle.

3. Ummm says:

I news flash tends to occur when the news does, not the next day…

4. Laura says:

I really thought Gareth had it in the bag this time. Bummer.

5. Nick says:

I believe that’s what we in the trade call “sarcasm” ,ummm.

Y’see beyond you VUWSA-groupie dorks no one actually considers VUWSA elections to be important enough to be a newsflash, and it that context timing becomes rather irrelelvant.

Nice attempt at a burn though. Maybe next time.

6. Nicola says:

I also, kinda, have this thing called a job…

7. And wouldn’t that job include things like publishing news flashes?

8. Nicola Kean says:

Blogging, which might be an amusing past-time when one is unemployed, is actually a secondary priority when one is trying to produce a magazine.

9. Louisa says:

Congratulations Cordelia!

10. Cunt is just a word says:

Congrats to all of the candidates…right on with the calls Kean.

11. Nicola Kean says:

Thankyou anonymous commenter.

12. Franky boy says:

So Nick got fucked over. He’ll have to get a real job now.

13. Well congrats to all those who participated. I wouldn’t mind leaning against a bar and having a beer with nick kelly some time.

14. blogette says:

act are a bunch of wanks
    same as labour
    and all vuwsa cronies

15. Cordy says:

This for Louisa (belated thanks to internet outage)

Cheers! Council is far too flat-chested anyway :D

1