Outages To Result From Upgrade

An upgrade of the University computing services over will see some outages over November and December.

The upgrade, announced last week, will see 41 servers replaced, with the majority not disrupting services.

Alan Dempster, Director of Information Technology Support (ITS) says the upgrade is not in reaction to faults on the network such as the constant outages of student email, but rather standard investment to make sure that Victoria’s IT systems stay up to date.

ITS will be scheduling essential upgrades where disruption will occur on low demand days such as the weekend, and all outages will be properly advertised through public affairs and student organisations.

Printing, StudentVUW services and student email will be among the services affected. Blackboard will also be offline over the first weekend in November to upgrade to version 7, but will not be affected by the server replacement.

Any disruptions should only be for a maximum of a couple of hours. This is because the replacement computers will not be ready to go, “not just out of the box” says ITS.

Student email has been ridden with problems over the academic year resulting in constant outages, and some students handing assignments in late because they could not access their email. Dempster is confident now that stability has been achieved but does not guarantee that problems will not occur in the future. “Storage limitations, the time dormant accounts left alive [for students that have left] and configuration of the email software with the operating system are all factors resulting in student email failure” explains Dempster. ITS has been working with the software vendor to achieve a solution.

If any student is having problems with IT services throughout the University, Student Computing Services (SCS) is on hand to assist on 463 5050.

1