Sports People Win Prizes

The team Vic Blues Awards were held last Wednesday, with 46 elite Vic sportspeople and sports administrators receiving awards.

Long-jump record holder Jessica Penney won overall Sports Person of the Year, after receiving a gold medal for longjump and a silver for sprinting at this year’s NZ Junior Athletics Championships, a bronze medal for long jump at the Australian Telstra A Championships, and being named Athletics NZ Junior Female Athlete of the Year last year.

Henry Heke won Maori Sportsperson of the Year for his achievements in rugby league, which include being a member of the NZ Universities Rugby League team which won the Universities’ World Cup in 2005, a member of the Vic Rugby League team which came second at thisyear’s University Games, and sitting on numerous University league boards and councils.

Debating Society Vice-President Chris Bishop took home the Sports Administrator of the Year award for his work as convenor of the Australasian Intervarsity Debating Champs (Australs), and as Chief Adjudicator for the Uni Games Debating Tournament.

Guest speakers for the evening were Paul Ackerley, a former New Zealand representative hockey player who won a gold medal at the 1976 Montreal Olympics, and Kate McIlroy, a former Victoria University Blues recipient, New Zealand record-holder for the 3km Steeple Chase and 2006 Halberg Sportswoman of the Year.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1