October 16, 2006 | by  | in Books |

The Skin Gods

It’s a story as old as the hills, one of those you find in every culture with the characters slightly changed. An idealistic young man agrees to help his girlfriend with book reviews for a student magazine, and is then compelled to hold his nose for a year while plucking artefacts from the diarrheic stream of bottom-mustard that is modern publishing. Well this is the last one! Huzzah for me, motherfuckers. This book is a blockbuster-style thriller, pretty much CSI for the semi-literate. I’m just going to reprint some of the best paragraphs for you, like an owl regurgitating tiny rodent bones. Then you can judge the worth of The Skin Gods for yourself.

“Near the entrance to Club Vibe, on the corner of Kensington and Allegheny streets, beneath the steel ceiling of the El, stood a tall, statuesque redhead, her auburn hair a silken waterfall that graced bare shoulders before cascading to the middle of her back. She wore a short spaghettistrap dress that embraced the curves of her body, and crystal earrings. Her light olive skin glistened under a thin sheen of perspiration.”

“Byrne turned fully in his chair, glared at the punks. They held his gaze for a few seconds, but were no match for the cold green fire of his eyes. None but the hardest of the hard cases were. A few seconds later, they seemed to understand the wisdom of leaving. Byrne watched them walk the length of the food court, then get on the escalators.”

“The man was not Julian Matisse. It had been a setup, a classic ambush. Byrne had all but known it would be, but if word just happened to spread that a guy named Denny was looking for someone, and that you fucked with him at your own peril, it might make the rest of the night and the next few days move a little more smoothly.” If that sounds like your cup of tea, well, okay. I’m just glad I don’t have to read any more of this stuff until next time I’m feeling masochistic.

RICHARD MONTANARI
William Heinemann/Random House

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos