October 2, 2006 | by  | in Music |

Tough Love – Heavy Hitting

The ‘Wellington Sound’ didn’t always mean dreadlocks, hemp and the soundtrack to a million cafés. There was a period in the nineties when the capital rocked to an different beat. Perhaps the Hutt had yet to turn its back on us; when HLAH and the ‘Had were hometown heroes. But the boys in Tough Love do not forget, nor have they forgotten all that has come before in the history of balls deep rock‘n’roll. It seems their second album Heavy Hitting is the result of four lives spent listening to Radio Hauraki exclusively.

Lead singer/guitarist Mark Graham has a Bon Scott shade to his voice, that high-pitched classic rock tenor. You could probably convince someone that the song ‘Tough Love’ were an AC/DC B-side. This brisk seven song album runs through a few different styles of classic rock, but all are sure to please the drunk and bogan. ‘Rock’n’rolla’ has the energetic leads of Thin Lizzy, ‘Drink All Night’ is as much of a Motörhead song as the title suggests, and the ominous riffing and wails on finale ‘Seduce and Destroy’ recall a less theatrical Black Sabbath. Derivative to be sure, but not without it’s charms. When Graham launches into the ‘the .44 Magnum is the

most powerful handgun in the world’ speech from Dirty Harry midway through anti-Rich

Bitch anthem ‘Hussy’ you won’t know whether to laugh, but any lesser band would probably have settled for a sample. Do you feel lucky?

Managed by toast-artist and brewer supreme Maurise Bennett, and sponsored by his fantastic lager; this is well played hard-rock from a band that must surely put on a great live show. Their last gig at our own university resulted in a ban due to damage and general ‘rowdiness’ so check them out on October19th and November 24th at Valve.

1