Vic Gets The Blues

The most highly anticipated sports awards ceremony on the University calendar, the Teamvic 2006 Victoria University Blues Awards, takes place on Wednesday.

Blues are the highest recognition the University gives to high-achieving Vic athletes and sports administrators.

36 students are receiving sports blues for achievements over the past 12 months, and 10 students are receiving sports administration blues for contributions to their sports club over the past 12 months. Three major awards, 2006 Sportsperson of the Year, 2006 Maori Sportsperson of the Year, and 2006 Sports Administrator of the Year, will also be presented at the ceremony.

Guest speakers for the evening include Vice-Chancellor Pat Walsh, VUWSA President Nick Kelly, 1976 Olympic Gold Medallist Paul Ackerley, and 2005 NZ Sportswoman of the Year Kate McIlroy.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this