October 9, 2006 | by  | in Opinion |

VUWSA Presidency

Year seven into this Labour-led government, fees are the highest they have ever been, less students receive allowances than ever before, the Manaaki Tauira for Maori students got cut this year, government funding to institutions has failed to keep pace with the rate of inflation, and generally the people are getting shat on. The gap between rich and poor continues to widen, as the Clark government continues the Rogernomics policies the Fourth Labour government implemented in the 1980s.

Young Labour’s reaction to this has been to make sure they have significant control and influence over student organizations like VUWSA, so that student collective strength isn’t used to expose and fight back against their chosen career advancement route, the yuppie capitalist administration machine misnamed the “Labour Party”. On Monday October the 2nd, Labour made serious in-roads to their national strategy of controlling students’ associations by winning the presidency of one of the largest students’ associations in New Zealand, VUWSA.

Just as Labour have done nationally, in this year’s VUWSA elections Vic Labour ran a dirty campaign full of personal attacks, spin, and manipulated issues from the 2006 VUWSA exec to their advantage. They ran a campaign in which they didn’t stand for anything except negativity and running down the work of people in 2006. And with the support of the National and Act party members and other reactionary forces on campus the president of Vic Labour won the VUWSA presidency. It truly does show that when the chips are down the capitalist forces will always pack together, despite whatever phoney posturing they may make in parliament or elsewhere.

When I started as President in January I inherited some very difficult challenges. VUWSA had made a $150,000 deficit in 2005 and, despite the warnings of both last year’s treasurers the 2005 VUWSA president Jeremy Greenbrook denied this would be the case. When at the end of 2005 some of us tried to reduce the cost of Salient, Jeremy scoffed and told us, “Salient will make a surplus for the first time ever”, in fact, its deficit increased drastically in 2005. Constitutional changes made at the 2005 AGM in August weren’t lodged with the Companies Office until I took over, which Jeremy should have done immediately after the AGM. I moved into the President’s office and found over a month’s worth of invoices that had been ignored by Jeremy. The Student Union complex dispute had been stagnant for months and VUWSA and the university were locked into a stalemate. Most of my exec were new to VUWSA and three of those (Maddy, Caroline and Kate) were thoroughly destructive and proved incapable of working in a team, with behaviour such as threatening others, making false allegations to Salient, and elsewhere, not doing their jobs and draining my own and other exec members energy away from the real work by constantly having to fire-fight.

By contrast my successor will receive an association with an adequate income due to the changing of the levy. He’ll receive a decent financial strategy from Horwath Strategy which should have been mostly implemented by the time he takes over, including early budgets and monthly reporting. He’ll inherit a new Student Union agreement and a board where positive progress can be made. VUWSA is now central to the new campus redevelopment plans and it’s likely significant improvements to student services will happen over the next year. He receives a pretty decent VUWSA exec with a number of returning members with good experience and vision for the association. VUWSA has now restarted the stop-lecture meetings, so more students feed into the association and set policies. VUWSA now has an agreement with VUW for Team Victoria so clubs will have access to considerably more money and resources from both VUWSA and VUW. And I’m also hopeful we’ll have a campus radio station back for the first time in 14 years. I hope not too many of these things are lost with yet another bout of Labour-careerism within VUWSA.

Students and workers have had their expectations lowered by this government. The policy to write-off interest for student loans is now seen by many as being as good as it gets. Yet it was only a few years ago when free education and universal allowances were the immediate demands of even pretty conservative student politicians. In the present climate, it’s much easier for bureaucratic games to work with the absence of a mass student movement. As Lee Patton said in his campaign for General exec in 2003: “revolution is the solution”. I am unashamedly a socialist and a member of the Workers Party. We stand to help re-build the revolutionary left in NZ. We currently have a campaign to sign up 500 members so we can stand in the 2008 election on a genuinely socialist platform. This isn’t because we believe change can come through parliament, but so we can build a revolutionary movement.

I intend to spend 2007 and beyond building this socialist movement. If you want to get involved, come down to the bucket fountain on Cuba Street at 10am this Saturday. Let’s build a revolutionary movement that can end student and worker oppression. For more information visit: www.workersparty.org.nz

1. Nicholas O'Kane says:

Nick Kelly is entitled to have and express his opinons on how he lost to Geof Hayward. However putting this piece in Salient was politically unwise and its not going to make many Hayward voters think they should have voted for Kelly instead. It may be stressfull to loose to an outsider, especially if the loss is unexpected. However this piece attacking Hayward and Young Labour does not make him look good.
    As for claims that Young Labour ran in this election to control VUWSA and stop them from opposing Labour, I am extremely sceptical of any truth in this claim. Did young Labour not support the intrest free student loans? Does Mr Kelly think members of Young Labour like paying high fees for university education? While Young Labour may be the youth wing of the Labour party, that does not mean that it’s members will blindly follow and support user pays education. Also as President Hayward will be expected to support students and VUWSA first, instead of the Labour party.
    As for the complaints about standing for negativity saying that “They ran a campaign in which they didn’t stand for anything except negativity and running down the work of people in 2006″ Hayward and myself and every other VUWSA member has a democratic right to hold the executive accountible for its actions. This piece by Kelly is hardly a model of positive campaigning.
    Students have every right to elect the president they want and this time the democratic choice of the students is Hayward. I congratulate him on his victory and hope he does a good job next year.

2. Nick Kelly says:

The following was left out of the column, despite there being room if they had used a smaller picture:

“The reality is that for most of us things are going to continue to get worse under capitalism. Since the end of the post war boom students and workers have continued to be squeezed harder and harder to maintain the levels of profit. Wages continue to be driven down, the 40 hour working week is now a distant memory for many workers. A lifetime of debt for graduates isn’t now seriously challenged by any party in parliament. We need stop looking to lobby politicians to bring about change; we need to stop thinking that the next select committee submission is actually going to do jack shit. Historically any significant political or social change has come from a mass movement of the people. It has come from people breaking the rules. The only way the human race can bring about any real change in the future is to get rid of the capitalist system. As long as people are exploited for their labour power in return for profit people’s living standard won’t improve. Capitalism cannot be reformed, what the last century has proved is that social democracy and attempts to make capitalism nicer just don’t work in the end. The destruction of the Alliance after they supported the invasion of Afghanistan proved where this sort of politics leads.”

3. Nick says:

Man. That changes everything.

Before I was planning to go join a multinational corporation, but now I’m going to throw off my shackles, buy a Che Guevara t-shirt and ignore all Marxist writings post-1900 in favour of a crude conception of historical materialism.

Viva la Revolution!

4. MikeE says:

“I am unashamedly a socialist and a member of the Workers Party. We stand to help re-build the revolutionary left in NZ. We currently have a campaign to sign up 500 members so we can stand in the 2008 election on a genuinely socialist platform. This isn’t because we believe change can come through parliament, but so we can build a revolutionary movement.

I intend to spend 2007 and beyond building this socialist movement. If you want to get involved, come down to the bucket fountain on Cuba Street at 10am this Saturday. Let’s build a revolutionary movement that can end student and worker oppression. For more information visit: http://www.workersparty.org.nz

Just out of curiosity, do you or any of your “workers party” mates actually work for a living? Or more likely – as with other unashamedly socialist people, you’d prefer for other people to work – while you enjoy the benifits of their labour through taxation, subsidies and benifits while calling for an end to the capitalism that funds your lifestyle and demanding policies that restrict individual freedoms as we know them today?

5. yeah... says:

“The only way the human race can bring about any real change in the future is to get rid of the capitalist system”

are you the same person who tried to sell your hair on trademe?

6. Nicholas O'Kane says:

The fact they haven’t got 500 people yet across the whole country shows how much “workers” there are in the “workers party”.

7. No says:

Hey scum

You lost, we won, eat that.

8. Holden Iscariot says:

Dear God, I expected a bit of a cry and a sulk after you got dominated, Kelly, but nothing like this. You’ve defied even my wildest dreams. I can’t believe you dedicated the whole column to whinging. Good luck finding 500 members to join your party despite the many many alternatives, when you can’t even get 500 members out of 18,500 to vote for you against three other people.
    So yeah, I realise you’re planning on spending 2007 (and beyond!) on working on your little party, but will you ACTUALLY work? Its been asked, I’d love to know the answer.
    H.I.

9. CC says:

Christ, I actually agree with something Nick O’Kane wrote. Mind status: blown.

10. As a member of Young Labour, your comments about us are completely incorrect.

No 1. As someone rightly pointed out, we are members of the Labour Party, not the Labour Government. As an ex-student, I still strongly call for universal allowances, better funding of Universities, and MUCH lower fees (preferably FREE). These things take time however. These are not things can be instigated in one hit – that would be far too damaging to our economy – that’s the economy that supports you and the rest of this country. I am part of the Labour Party because I feel my contributions to such matters are best coming from within – and I acknowledge that for others they are best coming from outside the party structure. But to suggest that because of our operational choice for attempting change means we have different ideological views and vision for this country is wildly out of step.

No 2. There was no “takeover” planned. We support competent student representatives from whatever background or party affiliations.

No 3. For the record, Geoff will be standing down as chair of Vic Labour for next year, following his win. He has said that all along.

Your column Nick contained a lot of inacurracies and I strongly suggest you retract them.

11. Franky boy says:

Wow – Kelly, you whine like a champion. I imagine Hayward will make a less irritating, and probably more effective leader for VUWSA than you have been.

All of your lefty rhetoric does not cover your immaturity. I hope, for your sake, that the queue at Work and Income isn’t too long.

12. CC says:

Don’t you understand, Maria? Everyone on campus except for Dick Smelly is part of the conspiracy that runs everything for capitalism!

13. bloggette says:

maria – ooh big diff – members of the party, not the govt….
    face it you tried to take over the exec the same way you tried to take over new zealand
    oh wait
    nick should not have to retract anything

14. Graeme Edgeler says:

Mike – it’s not up to the VUWSA leadership whether VUWSA goes voluntary.

15. I suppose they could do that – I believe support for VSM may be official VUWSA policy – there was an SRC a few years back that was hijacked by young nats and whatever Prebble’s Rebel’s/ACTivists/Act on Campus were going by at the time. I know a VSM policy motion was moved, but I don’t remember whether it passed…

16. peteremcc says:

wouldn’t that be ironic if supporting VSM was actually VUWSA policy, heh.

17. Clint says:

Wouldn’t make a difference until VUWSA did anything significant towards allowing students freedom of association. Lets be honest here, VSM will hurt VUWSA, but not its services, it will only hurt the politcal wing of VUWSA which has been around for many a decade and will be fought to the death to maintain!

18. The VSM motion at that SRC wasn’t passed Graeme.

19. Cunt is just a word says:

Nick, a few weeks back you said that VUWSA should be pollitcally neutral, now you are peddling worker’s party rallies while still the (lame duck ) president? What a fucking hypocrite! Talk about using party politics.

Oh and weren’t you a member of the Labour party when they came in and started their policies, how can you sit there and say that Labour is evil, when you once were a strong supporter for them. Does that make you a flip flopper too?

20. Nick Kelly says:

Maria,

I certainly won’t be retracting my comments.

Maria:

Nick:
    I would suggest that when Labour have been in government for 13 of the last 20 years that they have had ample opportunity to actually bring fees down and increase allowances, they have not in fact fees have gone up and allowances have dropped.

Maria:

Nick:
    There is a Young Labour strategy to “take over” students associations. I have been told this my members of the party.

Maria:

Nick:
    I stand my everything I have said

21. Nick Kelly says:

I never said VUWSA should be “politically neutral” if you actually read my column.

22. Mike Heine says:

I take it you’re in favour of compulsory student unionism Nick – do you not think it’s unfair that students who disagree with VUWSA’s political stance are forced to subsidise it?

23. Nick says:

24. Jon F says:

>No 3. For the record, Geoff will be standing down as chair of Vic Labour for next >year, following his win. He has said that all along.

I love the way labour do this. Conor Roberts steps down as Young Labour president and spends his year at NZUSA sucking Cullens cock! Sure Geoff will follow that example.

25. Sophia says:

Young Labour’s plans for world domination huh? Also known as the-vast-left-wing-conspiracy-that-is-actually-not-as-vast-as-people-make-it-out-to-be-though-its-gratifying-and-we-do-try-our-best?

26. Nick Kelly says:

Not that it adds to the debate at all but actually all members of the Workers Party in Wellington are in paid employment. This myth that the left are all idle and on benefits couldn’t be further from the truth. In fact I find its the right who tend to take on the role as the idle rich and spend their days blogging or whatever.

27. Nick says:

Or maybe, just maybe, some people are idle irrespective of their political beliefs.

I can’t believe the way you people try and reduce everything back to left and right-wing politics, were you dropped on your heads as babies?

28. fuck you nick kelly you cunt. Good riddance. Id rather see a Labour supporter as president than a bloody “worker”. Your whinging and moaning just proves how incompetent and worthless you are. VUWSA, with its lefty, greedy, shitty exec and policies never represented me. Fuck you, give my $99 back

29. oh and also, dont you think its funny how you scream and throw tantrums about how the capitalist system “exploits” the masses, yet you happily accept a salary from the arbitrarily charged subscription that is stolen from students who are already struggling with thousands of dollars worth of student loan debt. And you call yourself an advocate for students! HA! Go jump off a cliff

30. Mike Heine says:

“I take it you’re against the current government Mike – do you not think that you should stop paying taxes that subsidise policies you disagree with?”

Fair question Nick, and my personal answer is, in fact, yes. To the extent that our taxes are far too high and Government wastes a huge amount of money on things I disagree with.

Your point eludes me however as central government and student associations are two different things.
    SAs are not there to govern us and pass laws dictating how we should run our lives. Rather they are incorporated societies that provide a few services, but nothing that cannot be provided by alternative groups such as University or (gasp!) the private sector. Many rightly question the logic of having to subsidise groups they have no desire to join.

I certainly do not share the same political leanings as VUWSA and I don’t see why my money is taken off me to support policies I disagree with. But I guess as VUWSA isn’t anything like a government they don’t have to subscribe to such basic rights as freedom of association.

The Nick I was addressing was Nick Kelly (though I appreciated your response), and I hope to hear his answer too…

31. Mr. Sir says:

PREDICTION

The LABOUR GOVERNMENT will be over at the next general election. And, its dullard, shallow, a-historical, a-political ‘Young Labour’ troglodyte-set will no longer have easy access to cushy grooming internships, over-paid bureacratic positions and MPs arseholes to tongue vigorously. Trevor, Parekura, Christine Carter…mmmmnn yummy.

ATTENTION!

Messages to the following:

‘Abdul el Razir’ – if indeed that IS a name – fuck off back to monkey land

‘Nick’ – you have a point when you say: “I can’t believe the way you people try and reduce everything back to left and right-wing politics…” – This is worth exploring further.

‘Jon F’ – Agree.

‘No’ – Mr. Sir has a very dirty mind when it comes to gimp-holes like yourself – I want to root your arse.

‘Nick O’Kane’ – Come and sit on my face. You turn me on. I want you to shoot your hot boy jism down my throat while yelping out one of your usual recognition starved ‘right-wing’ raves – but it has to be in your overly excited baby voice – this brings me on repeatedly.

32. Mr. Sir says:

PS. Nick Kelly’s a good bloke.

33. Nick Archer says:

Interesting…

I remember when I was on the VUWSA exec in 2000 we had a Labour president, and the government was grandstanding how it was going to overturn all that natioanl had done, cut student fees, bring back the summer univrsal unemployment benefit for all students, push for more student allowances etc, I knew back then that they were gutless, and it turns out that they are…

At the time I was Act, I am not officially aligned to any party at the moment, I believe that the answer is more autonomy for indivduals as Act would argue, but I also believe we need stonger communities and that won’t come from more centralised govt… So that kind of makes me a libertarian/communitarian I suppose… We need less government not more, I don’t care if people set up their own syndicates/workers councils etc as long as there is no compulsion or force to stop others from running their own markets/tribes/comunes/communities/families. It is when communism encroaches onto others freedom and wants power over everyone else that I have a problem. As far as I am concerned power is evil and the abonimation of humanity…

As for VSM I still support it i.e. giving students a choice of association, despite the financial risks for the student association…

You are right Nick about what you said about having a dysfunctional exec, lets hope VUWSA sorts it stuff out next year, nothing much seems to have changed when I was a student…

34. Nick Kelly says:

Mike, yes I do support all students being members of the Students’ Association. I don’t see it as any different from all people who live in Wellington being part of the Wellington City Council or everyone in NZ being governed by the NZ state.

35. jock says:

Funny how the facist right (Nicholas O’Kane) has swung in behind Geoff to give their support. Good to see Labour really are the best representatives of red necks.

36. Rex Hydro says:

Good on you Nick Kelly! Its about time that someone did something about those stupid right wing think tanks and blanket man has certainly failed in this respect.

37. Mr. Sir says:

Rex Hydro, Jock, Nick Kelly and Lord Nicholas Archer – totally agree with all of your sentiments.

38. Nick Y'Wallet says:

So Nick Kelly, I presume you’ll be stumping up my newly imposed $50,000 membership fee for the PCNA (People Called Nick Association). I represent the interest of people called Nick, and regularly organise trips for such individuals to visit illustrious personal development and wealth-coaching seminars. As a person called Nick I must assume that you will not be uncomfortable paying our fees, we are after all acting in your best interests and have been nominated by a self-selected group of approximately twelve people called Nick. Just think of it as being like living in Wellington – after all, if you don’t like it you could always change your name.

39. Cunt is just a word says:

Hold on Nick K, let me get the Presidents column article:

VUWSA also needs to be politically independent. This isn’t the same as being neutral: “VUWSA does need to take political stances on issues, be it at Academic board/local level or be it at a government level. However, it should not be aligned to any political party or take sides in the parliamentary circus.

And your replacement made this comment:

Nick Kelly’s President’s column was the biggest hypocritical wank I have ever seen – Kelly really out did himself this time, didn’t he?

He said last week: “VUWSA does need to take political stances on issues, be it at Academic board/local level or be it at a government level. However, it should not be aligned to any political party…” Yet if you visit the Worker’s Party website (www.workersparty.org.nz ) and click on “contact”, you will see that Mr Kelly is the Wellington contact. Nothing wrong with that, except that the VUWSA (politically independent) President’s cell phone number and email are listed there as well. That’s right, our president is using student money to fund Worker’s Party resources, he is in fact, using his position in alignment with a political party.

No wonder he wants to increase our levy – the Worker’s Party coffers obviously aren’t full enough to fund the revolution:

Then you wrote:

Salient,
    In last weeks edition of Salient Geoff Hayward the level of political debate to petty complaints about the use of cell phone numbers. I would be happy to debtate with Geoff who is President of Vic Labour his governemtn’s record on studnet issues. Especially when after 7 years in Governemnt Labour is responsible for student fees being the highest they have ever been, less students recieve an allowance tahn ever before, wages for studnet workers (and all workers) remaining very low whilst the wealth of New Zealanders continues to increase dramatically each year (see National Business Reviews yearly Rich list for proof of this).

Whether or not someone rings the VUWSA presidnet’s cell phone when obviously the caller would pay for the call rather than VUWSA business is just plain petty! Compare this with issue of student poverty caused by the policies of Geoff’s governemtn since 1999. ”

So, I asked Geoff what he though about all this. He gave me what he sent into Salient (but it looks like they never printed it):

“It’s a shame that President Kelly missed the point of my letter. But in the spirit of making sure that I am not misrepresented, I will quote you again Nick, this time from your letter last week:

“Whether or not someone rings the VUWSA president’s cell phone when obviously the caller would pay for the call rather than VUWSA about none VUWSA business is just plain petty.”

That would be a fair argument, if only for two points:

1) The point was that you used the VUWSA email account to release press statements on the Workers party, and used VUWSA’s president’s phone to take calls on matters regarding a political party that you support, in direct contradiction to the assertion made in your President’s column three weeks ago: “…[VUWSA] should not be aligned to any political party…” [Emphasis added]

2) If it was of no concern if people call you, then why after my letter was published, did you remove your VUWSA email and phone number from the Worker’s Party website, replacing them with “Joel’s” mobile number. So far the only reason that I can come up with is that you saw using the VUWSA presidency in alignment with a political party is not only hypocritical, it is crooked. Changing the details only makes you look like you are trying to cover it up.

I therefore ask you for an apology, but not for me (as I now doubt everything that you say), nor for Salient (who are constitutionally bound to print your column), but for the students of Victoria University, the students you are expected to represent, the students that you deceived, the students who deserve better.”

So my question to you Nick is this: why do you lie?

40. Jim says:

The bit of Nick’s column I found most interesting was:

“VUWSA had made a $150,000 deficit in 2005 and, despite the warnings of both last year’s treasurers the 2005 VUWSA president Jeremy Greenbrook denied this would be the case. When at the end of 2005 some of us tried to reduce the cost of Salient, Jeremy scoffed and told us, “Salient will make a surplus for the first time ever”, in fact, its deficit increased drastically in 2005. Constitutional changes made at the 2005 AGM in August weren’t lodged with the Companies Office until I took over, which Jeremy should have done immediately after the AGM. I moved into the President’s office and found over a month’s worth of invoices that had been ignored by Jeremy. The Student Union complex dispute had been stagnant for months and VUWSA and the university were locked into a stalemate.”

This is the first time its really revealed how much of an imcompent president Jeremy really was. Particularly the budget stuff and the companies office thing really show he was totally hopeless at the admin and management role of the president. It also explains why the situation with the budget and various other things actually happened this year.

41. Nick Kelly says:

The anonymous poster posted the below:

Anonymous

Nick:
    As pointed out if people ring me on a cell phone they pay for the call. When I took over at the end of last year there was a ‘Young Labour’ folder in the filing cabinet of the Presidents office. I think I forwarded one thing from my VUWSA e-mail early in the year to the media but made it very clear it wasn’t a VUWSA press release.

Anonymous:

Nick:
    Not covering anything up. But I felt it was more appropriate for another number to be used. But frankly this point is highly petty and a destraction. My column about VUWSA being politically independant was saying it shouldn’t be affilited to a party like say the Engineers Union is to Labour. I was making the point that it should not be neutral. An e-mail and possible a couple of people ringing my cell phone is hardly making VUWSA politically alligned.

Anonymous:

Nick:
    What crap! I have nothing to apologies for.

Anonymous:
    So my question to you Nick is this: why do you lie?

Nick:
    A socialist once said that we should “tell the truth no matter how bitter”, this is what I have tried to do throughout my presidency – and I think have done so fairly consistantly.

42. Mike Heine says:

I have been told by several people, including exec members, that the list of services VUWSA threatened would be cut without a levy increase were no more than “scare tactics”, which you knew full well wouldn’t have to be reduced at all.
    If you’re as consistent with the truth as you say you are, would that make you a compulsive liar?

43. Cunt is just a word says:

Well Pete I did not know that. What the fuck are you doing Nick?

44. Cunt is just a word says:

And Mike is right, you lied to the students. You scared students to vote one way.

45. Nick Kelly says:

If the levy had not increased VUWSA would be looking at a 300k deficit in 2007 on current spending. So we’d have been looking at cutting spending by 300k which would have put at risk ALL the services we mentioned. The liars were the ones who tried to claim this wasn’t so. Claims that it was scare tactics are interesting, because many of us were genuinely scared about losing so many services.

With the Pratley it just showed that we understood first past the post. I can’t see the difference with this from what happens all the time, except Labour tried to make political capital out of it. As for the if Anna hadn’t been in Australia – I love those sort of what if’s. The fact is that Heleyni won the election for WVP, and I believe she was by a long way the best candidate for the position.

46. “So we’d have been looking at cutting spending by 300k which would have put at risk ALL the services we mentioned. The liars were the ones who tried to claim this wasn’t so.”

Nick – Bullshit.

Student carparks make a profit.

47. Nick Kelly says:

Student carparks should make a profit, there were some issues with this at the end of last year which meant this year we seriously undersold. We resolved this now but the admin work sorting this out has probably cost us more this year.

Again a problem I inherited.

48. Nick Kelly says:

Also the poster said “services under threat”, if the levy hadn’t increased an option would have been increasing the price of car parks making them unaccessable to a number of student – thus it was a “service under threat”.

49. Putting up the price of student carparks would mean VUWSA would get less money from carparks – not more. So that was not an option. Everything else was arguable, but under no possible circumstance resulting from a failure to increase the levy would carparking have been threatened. The exec could have opted to get rid of carparking, or chosen to increase the price and decrease the income from them out of spite or a desire to screw VUWSA over, but there was absolutely no threat.

50. Nick Kelly says:

We’ll agree to disagree.

51. Nick, the bottom line is ” you are a liar.”

You obviously have no integrity.

I am disgusted. Goodbye and good riddance.

52. matt says:

Nick one would have thought you could have departed in dignity. There was no Labour, National , Act allaince against you, Stop sulking and move on. Democracy is what happened and you were on the wrong side of it. But Democracy Nick is a Bitch. No doubt you will hang around the fringes of student politics like a bad smell, people like you do you know.

53. Nick Kelly says:

>Nick, the bottom line is ” you are a liar.”

Yet nobody has actually proved at any stage that I’ve lied about anything. And you won’t be able to as I’ve not told any lies. Pathetic slander is all that it is.

54. Graeme Edgeler says:

Nick – at the SGM about the levy increase you stated that the change in the structure of the levy that was among my last acts as VUWSA Treasurer was minor.

We both know that it was not.

The following year saw a 25% increase in VUWSA’s membership income. At best I understand your successful proposal will result in a 21-22% increase.

55. CC says:

I find it pretty funny that Nick Kelly is still using VUWSA as his “website”.

56. Thats incorrect Nickolas
    In regards to your letter in Salient Issue 23, October 2, Geoff Haywards capacity as Vic Labour president has nothing to do with the Labour government you ninny. Please receive your factings properly in future.Dont try and compare cellphone usage to student poverty. Thats just nonsense. Go take a survey to see how many “poor” students own a cellphone. Student debt? Ha! Maybe if they didnt buy silly cellphones they wouldnt be in debt. It makes you think. And if it werent for those 1% of wealth owners (who obviously deserve to be rich cos they worked hard) then you probably wouldnt have a job. Oh wait, you dont have a job. You got voted out. Workers unite!

57. Nick Kelly is pathetic.

Hated by all of his staff and most of his exec.

In charge of the Workers Party, the most humorous political insignificance since Laila Harre.

Enjoy your life Nick, sitting in a bar in Upper Hutt, consoling yourself for the revolution that won’t come.

You are about as representative of students Nick as a syphilis outbreak in an old folks home. Don’t take it out on your predecessor. The least you could have done was take losing like some form of man.

You look like a bitch. And sadly enough acted like one too when you lost.

Good riddance.

58. Clint says:

I love it that Nick equates VUWSA membership as unavoidable like being part of the Wellington City Council or citizens being part of the NZ Govt.

Get over it! What absolute bollocks.

Since when has VUWSA been as important and powerful as our Government? VUWSA has the same legal status as a bowling club, not as our Govt.

Get over yourself Nick, you’re just a wannabe politician playing stupid games with our student money.

59. Clint says:

Ha, actually I should say you’re an EX student politician. Don’t come back now ya hear?

60. Jenn says:

actually, the new exec doesnt come in until next year. Nick is still President until then.

61. Cunt is Just a Word says:

Where is this week’s column? I saw it yesterday online. It demonstrated no gravitas, no magnimity, no appreciation to his fellow members, only a beating piece about Nick’s dissapointment with the groups he would argue were most responsible for his loss, and perhpas try to distance himself from the shockingly bad job he did in convincing others he was worth more than a fucking damn.

Nick you are like High School in Summer…no class.

62. Bob says:

Well guess what, this weeks salient letters had more of an even split between for and against Nick (probably slightly more for Nick). So you spammers who keep creating user names to defame Nick..the 3 of you should get girlfriends

63. Nick says:

How is it that you’re at university? That argument doesn’t really make any sense, there is no discernible connection between letters to the editor and online comments, in no way does one necessarily follow the other. Perhaps the letters to the editor are all from pseudonyms. Perhaps there were all written by Kelly.

Go back to your management degree.

64. yeah... says:

well bob i guess if you’re using salient letters as a guide to nick kelly’s popularity, he would have got over 50% of the votes in the student election.

65. Luke says:

“As long as people are exploited for their labour power in return for profit people’s living standard won’t improve.”

lol

Nick Kelly, you know nothing.

66. Tuiman says:

Funny how Young Labour keep on the same set-up, 2007 seems to be awfully similar in behaviour to 2006. Deja-Vu?