November 3, 2006 | by  | in Music |

Belle & Sebastian – The Life Pursuit

This is an album to challenge the position Tigermilk holds (or ought to hold – I’m sorry if you think If You’re Feeling Sinister is their best – you’re wrong) as your favourite B&S album. I realize that I’m talking exclusively to people who already love Belle and Sebastian, but that’s kind of my point – if you don’t like them then this album is not going to change your mind. This is the most Belle and Sebastian Belle and Sebastian album yet. Everything you adore about B&S is here in even greater abundance: the twee bubblegum tunes, the call and response choruses, the arch and knowing lyrics that disguise their venom in velvet-gloved pop perfection. At the same time there’s a new willingness to experiment with funk, blues and even a little glam-rock, while somehow twisting it all into something that couldn’t come from any other band. ‘White Collar Boy’ is B&S at their best, a nasty little tale- of suburban boredom and crime backed by Kinks-esque choruses and fuzz. ‘The Blues are Still Blue’ and ‘Suki In The Graveyard’ see Stuart toy with Bowie’s voice and blues-glam Aladdin-era guitar, while ‘Dress Up In You’ hides lyrical desperation and hatred behind a sweet piano and trumpet-assisted melody. Belle and Sebastian are a band who inspire fanatical fandom and there’s no hiding the fact I am a fan, so all I can say is go and listen for yourself. If they don’t have you grinning like a twit, you have a concrete heart.

1. Andrew says:

So glad to find a B&S fan. I’m from the States and have been listining to their stuff for years. It’s just plain fun, ala “We Are The Sleepyheads” style. Go grab the album. It rocks my sox.

1. Turns out there wasn’t a bomb LOL
  2. IDF soldiers speak on campus
  3. Why I voted for fee rises
  4. Fuck the Establishment
  5. Facebook upset over fee rises
  6. Hack Like Nobody’s Watching
  7. The Ian Curtis Memorial Wall, Wallace Street: An Investigation
  8. Why I Hate Baby Boomers
  9. Foibles of a Foxton Forger
  10. Coppers Become Croppers

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.