November 3, 2006 | by  |

Belle & Sebastian – The Life Pursuit

This is an album to challenge the position Tigermilk holds (or ought to hold – I’m sorry if you think If You’re Feeling Sinister is their best – you’re wrong) as your favourite B&S album. I realize that I’m talking exclusively to people who already love Belle and Sebastian, but that’s kind of my point – if you don’t like them then this album is not going to change your mind. This is the most Belle and Sebastian Belle and Sebastian album yet. Everything you adore about B&S is here in even greater abundance: the twee bubblegum tunes, the call and response choruses, the arch and knowing lyrics that disguise their venom in velvet-gloved pop perfection. At the same time there’s a new willingness to experiment with funk, blues and even a little glam-rock, while somehow twisting it all into something that couldn’t come from any other band. ‘White Collar Boy’ is B&S at their best, a nasty little tale- of suburban boredom and crime backed by Kinks-esque choruses and fuzz. ‘The Blues are Still Blue’ and ‘Suki In The Graveyard’ see Stuart toy with Bowie’s voice and blues-glam Aladdin-era guitar, while ‘Dress Up In You’ hides lyrical desperation and hatred behind a sweet piano and trumpet-assisted melody. Belle and Sebastian are a band who inspire fanatical fandom and there’s no hiding the fact I am a fan, so all I can say is go and listen for yourself. If they don’t have you grinning like a twit, you have a concrete heart.

1. Andrew says:

So glad to find a B&S fan. I’m from the States and have been listining to their stuff for years. It’s just plain fun, ala “We Are The Sleepyheads” style. Go grab the album. It rocks my sox.

1. Salient seeks new contributors
  2. Web designer needed
  3. San Cisco—Gracetown
  4. Shovel Knight
  5. NZUSA rides the alimony pony
  6. [Theme not found]
  7. Pink Passion Pop
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less
  9. 80 Years of Penguin
  10. Up and Adam

Most popular

1. Salient seeks new contributors 91 views
  2. The Übermensch 29 views
  3. Web designer needed 26 views
  4. I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree 23 views
  5. The Bresolin Brothers 16 views
  6. Holy Fuck! Vic Uni Ruled by White Males 16 views
  7. Ermagherd, rent 16 views
  8. The Sedulous Recorder 16 views
  9. NZUSA rides the alimony pony 14 views
  10. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less 13 views
grad

I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree

by

For students all across the world, years of study culminate in a perfunctory ritual known as “graduation”. After three years of napping at Victoria’s Te Aro campus, it was my turn to partake in the tradition.

Read more