February 26, 2007 | by  | in Theatre |

Fringe picks for this week

Well, the Fringe Festival is nearly over, but you’ve still got time to catch some great shows for little money. Support the boundary pushers!

Female of the Species

March 4 2:00pm
Circa 2
Full $5, Addict $3
Tickets – 801 7992

Feminist theatre – we really don’t get enough of that in Wellington, unless you think women like to watch plays about chocolate. Here’s a chance to see a brand new play by one of Australia’s most successful playwrights. The great Jean Betts (Ophelia Thinks Harder) directs a rehearsed reading of this comical new play by Joanna Murray Smith.

Deliver Us

February 27-28, March 1-3 9:30pm BATS
Full $15, Concession $12, Addict $10
Tickets – 802 4175 or book@bats.co.nz

Paul Rothwell, rightly hailed as the “hot-young-thing-right-now” in Kiwi playwriting, is back with a new play following the success of Hate Crimes and Golden Boys. Rothwell seems to have a penchant for realistic settings which reveal something dark and sinister. Their publicity claims it is “terrifying”, and if that isn’t enough to entice you, he’s teamed up again with director David Lawrence of the Bacchanals.

Camp

March 4, 11, 18, 25 7:30pm Circa 2
Full $18, Concession $15, Addict $13
Tickets – 801 7992

I recommended it last week and I’ll do it again. The Improvisors turn their hand to another classic form (after such successes as Whose Ring is it Anyway? and Show Us Your Willy?) – improvising a soap opera set in a Kiwi motor camp. Sure to be hilarious, and be ready to call out your suggestions!

Skeleton Woman

March 2-3 8:00pm, March 3 4:00pm, March 4 6:00pm
Wellington Performing Arts Centre (36 Vivian Street)
Full $15, Concession $12, Addict $10
Tickets – 027 453 5727 or hellnhighwater@hotmail.com

The Fringe is all about taking risks, and sometimes that means going to see something based purely on the description in the Fringe booklet. Based on the Inuit legend of Skeleton Woman, Helen Moran will weave song, movement and poetry to show us a landscape of loneliness and terror.

Fight or Flight

March 2-10 (no show Sun or Mon) 6:30pm BATS
Full $15, Concession $12, Addict $10
Tickets – 802 4175 or book@bats.co.nz

Not that this show needs a shout out, judging by the success of Brave’s last sell out shows (Anything to Declare, 1/4 Pounding), but here it is: the subject matter is aeroplanes, heights and commitment, and in the hands of actors Mel Dodge and Gene Alexander, it’s sure to be a hilarious ride.