February 19, 2007 | by  | in News |

New Students Orientation

Monday 19th to Friday 23rd Feb for your intro to study and life at VIC.

Congratulations on having made it up here to campus and welcome to new students orientation week. We hope you have an enjoyable time and that you find these events useful in preparing for your study at Vic. You are welcome to attend as many of these as you wish and during this week all new students orientation events are free.

Visit an info desk if you are lost, confused, have mislaid your new students orientation programme, want to pick up info, or just need someone to talk to – these info desks are on the overbridge, in the Student Union Atrium and in the Maclaurin Foyer all this week. You’ll also fi nd the current day’s programme displayed at each.

EVENTS OFFERED ALL WEEK FEBRUARY 19 – 23: (with a very few exceptions!)

Halls Head Start programme for students in 1st Year Halls of Residence. Your hall will advise you of your programme.

CAMPUS TOURS:
Kelburn Campus Tours (which take up to an hour) will run from each of the info desks as follows: Mon, Tue & Fri: 10am, 12 noon, 2.30pm & 4pm Wed & Thu: 9am, 11.30am, 12 noon, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm & 4pm

• If you are studying BA, BMusic, BA/ BTeach, etc. go to the Overbridge INFO Desk.

• If you are studying Science (incl. BSc, BSc/BCA, BSc/BTeach, BBmedSc, BIT, BScTech & BE) go to the Maclaurin Foyer INFO Desk.

• If you are studying Commerce (BCA & BTM) and Law go to the Student Union Atrium INFO Desk.

Tours of other campuses:

• If you want to look around Pipitea campus, 30-45 minute tours will depart from the Railway West Wing (Ground Floor) INFO Desk at 11am & 2.30pm.

• Arch / Design tours will depart the main foyer, 139 Vivian St, as part of their orientation sessions on Wed 21 February.

Free sausage sizzle lunches will be available in the QUAD starting 12 noon – thanks to VUWSA and the National Bank.

Introductory Library tours (15 minutes) start from the Central Issues Desk in the Rankine Brown bldg (off the QUAD) at 10.30am, 11.15am, 12 noon, 12.45pm, 1.30pm, 2.15pm & 3pm. You must register in advance – at the Issue Desk at the Library entrance. These will help you familiarise yourself with the Library here at Kelburn. You can follow this with a Cataloguing tutorial – again you need to register.

Student Computing workshops in the CyberCommons – Kirk 216. (40 mins): Mon, Tue & Fri @ 1.30pm; Wed & Thu @ 10am, 11.15am, 12.30pm & 4.15pm.

Navigating CareerHub workshops (20 mins) follow on after the Student Computing workshops. Find out how to access and use Victoria CareerHub (very useful if you need part-time work, etc.). These are offered in Kirk 216 on Mon, Tue & Fri at 2.15pm and Wed & Thu at 10.45am, 12 noon, 1.15pm and 4.55pm. The spacious and updated Recreation Centre is open all week. Visit them to check out facilities and to register.

The Adam Art Gallery, next to the Student Union roof and Vic Books, is open for self guided touring Tue to Fri 11am-5pm (it is closed Mon), and offers a special Guided Walking Tour 1-2pm Thu 22 Feb.

EVENTS RELATED TO SPECIFIC DAYS:

Monday February 19th

Mature Students Orientation in Hugh Mackenzie 206, 9-11am. This will be particularly useful for those who haven’t studied for a few years, or may have studied in the past but feel they would like a reality check, and for those who would like to meet other mature students.

The Civic Welcome is in Civic Square, downtown 12noon-1pm. This is a fun event for ALL new students.

‘How to Survive the University Jungle’, a half-hour workshop about ‘Getting Involved’, begins 1pm in Murphy 101.

New Graduate Students Orientation in Maclaurin 103, 2-4.30pm – this is especially for VUW students new to postgrad study and postgrads new to Vic.

Students with Disabilities Orientation in Meeting Rooms 1 & 2, Student Union Building from 2-5pm.

Tuesday February 20th

Halls Head Start Programme – for students living in Halls of Residence – your hall will advise you of the programme.

Wednesday February 21st

Vital VIC Info, 10.30–11.15am in
Maclaurin 103 – come along to get the essential info you need to know about systems and support here at Vic plus a welcome from the Vice-Chancellor and VUWSA. There are prizes to win!

‘STUFF’ in the QUAD – check out the fun events, food and Info Expo, etc. going on in the QUAD from 11.15am til 1pm – and probably later!

Faculty Orientation Sessions:
Each faculty has its own orientation session. It is highly recommended that you attend the orientation of the faculty (or faculties) in which you are enrolling. At the ‘Refreshment break / Meet & Greet / Expo’ you have the opportunity to talk with staff one to one so you can find the answers to niggling questions.

• School of Architecture Orientation
9.30am-12.30pm, 139 Vivian Street

• School of Design Orientation
12.30-3.30pm, 139 Vivian Street

• Commerce & Administration Orientation
Expo / Faculty Facts for BCA & BTM students, 12.15-1pm, Maclaurin Foyer

• BCA students Orientation
1-1.45pm, Maclaurin 103

• BTM students Orientation
2-3pm, Maclaurin 102

• Law Orientation
Folklaw / Refreshments in the Maclaurin Foyer 1.45pm

• Law students Orientation 2.30-4pm, Maclaurin 103

• CUP – Certifi cate of University Preparation Orientation
10am all day in Hugh Mackenzie 206

Study Starters – these are short study skills workshops in Hunter 323 for those who may be anxious about study techniques. You may want to attend both!

9-9.45am Introductory Study Skills Tips workshop

11.30am-12.15pm Introductory Essay Writing workshop

Surviving the University Jungle workshops in Murphy 101 – four different topics today (repeated again tomorrow). At these 30 minute sessions senior students and staff will discuss student life focusing on the realities of balancing your time between study, socialising and employment. How to handle your new independence will be a major focus for many of you – hear about some of the traps you should try to avoid. Come along to pick up tips and ask your own questions.

THURSDAY FEBRUARY 22ND

Vital VIC Info, 10.30–11.15am in Maclaurin 103 – come along to get the essential info you need to know about systems and support here at Vic plus a welcome from the Vice-Chancellor and VUWSA – this is a repeat of Wednesday’s session – and there are prizes to be won!

“STUFF” in the QUAD – check out the fun events, food and Info Expo, etc. going on in The QUAD from 11.15am til 1pm – and probably later!

Faculty Orientation Sessions:
• Science Orientation Maclaurin 103, 1-2pm
• FHSS & Science Expos / Meet & Greet 2-2.45pm, Maclaurin Foyer
• Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences Orientation in Maclaurin 103, 3-4pm for all students studying

BA, BMusic and BA/BTeach, BA/BTeach(ECE)

The Adam Art Gallery (near SU roof) is offering a Guided Walking Tour of its current exhibition at 1pm. This exhibition fi nishes on Saturday so don’t miss out!

9-9.45am Introductory Essay Writing workshop

11.30am-12.15pm Introductory Study Skills Tips workshop

Surviving the University Jungle workshops in Murphy 101 – fi ve different topics today. At these 30 minute sessions senior students and staff will be available to discuss student life, focusing on the realities of balancing your time between study, socializing and employment. How to handle your new independence will be a major focus for many of you – hear about some of the traps you should try to avoid. Come along to pick up tips and ask your own questions.

FRIDAY FEBRUARY 23RD

SMART START 2007, 9.30am-1pm
Maclaurin 103. This is for those who would like a substantial study skills programme in just one session. Please note: you must enrol and to do this you should email student-learning@vuw.ac.nz, call 463 5999 or visit Student Learning Support, level 0, Kirk Wing, Hunter Courtyard. Register early to secure a place. NB: There will be some repetition if you have already attended a Halls Smart Start session or the Study Starters workshops.

Remember there are heaps of events offered daily throughout this week (see Events offered all week for February 19-23rd) – so make sure you slot them into your programme and don’t forget to stop at an INFO Desk to pick up useful handouts and ask any questions. Enjoy your start to life at Vic. we wish you all the best in your new adventure.

1