February 26, 2007 | by  | in News |

Penalty increase for late fee-payments

Pay now and win an iPod!

Penalties for late fee payments have increased as part of a decision passed by the University Council late last year.

The 200% increase saw the penalty rise from $50 to $150, to be charged to students whose fees were not paid by the February 23 deadline.

The decision was passed at the Council’s fee-setting meeting in October and has been described as a “little side-issue” that was “snuck through”.

“It was passed at the same time as the 10% fee increase and so we were focused on that at the time” VUWSA Education Vice-President Joel Cosgrove explains.

VUWSA President Geoff Hayward says he was only made aware of the fee increase upon receiving the 2007 handbook diaries, despite “considerable consultation” said to have been undertaken with last year’s president, Nick Kelly.

Hayward questions whether the penalty change was passed in a way to avoid student feedback.

The University justifi es the fee increase, citing the rising costs involved with recovering debt incurred by “a small minority of students.” In conjunction with the increase, the University has been using a draw for laptops and iPods to encourage students to pay their fees on time.

For students paying their fees through a student loan, the penalty will not be covered by Studylink and an appeal is required for it to be waived in circumstances beyond the student’s control.

Students with any queries are advised contact their fees coordinator.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties