February 26, 2007 | by  | in News |

Penalty increase for late fee-payments

Pay now and win an iPod!

Penalties for late fee payments have increased as part of a decision passed by the University Council late last year.

The 200% increase saw the penalty rise from $50 to $150, to be charged to students whose fees were not paid by the February 23 deadline.

The decision was passed at the Council’s fee-setting meeting in October and has been described as a “little side-issue” that was “snuck through”.

“It was passed at the same time as the 10% fee increase and so we were focused on that at the time” VUWSA Education Vice-President Joel Cosgrove explains.

VUWSA President Geoff Hayward says he was only made aware of the fee increase upon receiving the 2007 handbook diaries, despite “considerable consultation” said to have been undertaken with last year’s president, Nick Kelly.

Hayward questions whether the penalty change was passed in a way to avoid student feedback.

The University justifi es the fee increase, citing the rising costs involved with recovering debt incurred by “a small minority of students.” In conjunction with the increase, the University has been using a draw for laptops and iPods to encourage students to pay their fees on time.

For students paying their fees through a student loan, the penalty will not be covered by Studylink and an appeal is required for it to be waived in circumstances beyond the student’s control.

Students with any queries are advised contact their fees coordinator.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos