February 26, 2007 | by  | in News |

Professor receives New Year’s Honour

Political Science Professor Margaret Clark was named a Distinguished Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit (DCNZM) in the New Year’s Honours.

Professor Clark, who received a Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George (CMG) Honour in 1993, says she was pleasantly surprised to now receive a DCNZM – the equivalent of the former Knight and Dame Companion Honours.

“I was rung and asked would I accept it, and of course, my fi rst response was total surprise,” she says.

“We want to deal with politics as an intellectual discipline and to present the study of politics in an even-handed way, so the fact that the two parties in our system have recognized me at a 14-year interval is pleasing. Pleasing and reassuring.”

Professor Clark was appointed a professor at Vic in 1978, and is now one of the University’s longest-serving professors. She continues to teach and coordinate fi rst-year and honours Political Science programmes.

“Over the years I’ve greatly enjoyed teaching generations of bright, young people to think about the way their world works,” she says.

“It’s very odd in a way to be honoured or rewarded for having done what you’ve really enjoyed doing. It’s been a lot of fun and I do truly think that generations of students have brightened up my life and I hope I’ve bright- ened up theirs.”

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties