February 19, 2007 | by  | in Opinion |

Student Health Services

Haere Mai, welcome to both new and returning students from the team at the Student Health Service (SHS). My name is Catherine, I am a nurse at the SHS. This year I will be writing a page in every second edition of Salient. The SHS is staffed by fully qualified, professionally registered doctors and nurses who enjoy working with students. We offer all the services you would expect from a regular medical centre while also having an intimate knowledge of the culture of Victoria University and reality of student life. Additionally, our doctors and nurses are not only really nice people – they are also dedicated and have postgraduate qualifications in a variety of areas. These include: sports medicine, mental health, travel health, dermatology, diabetes and asthma care, sexual health and contraception.

The SHS is available to all students who have paid the compulsory Student Services Levy. In October 2005, we joined Capital Primary Healthcare Organisation (PHO). To be enrolled as a patient all you have to do is fi ll out some paperwork, which takes about one minute. You will be asked if you want us to be your main health care provider while you are at Victoria University. There are lots of reasons why it would be good to choose us as your main health care centre. We are convenient, we provide lots of different services and we specialise in the care of university students. However, if you decide to stay with your current medical centre you can still be seen at the SHS as a “casual” patient.

So does enrolling at the Student Health Service sounds like a good idea to you?
To find out more please visit our website at www.vuw.ac.nz/st_services/health/ or visit us in person.

We have clinics on all 4 campusus:

Kelburn

4 Wai-te-ata Road, just below the Library between Victoria Books and the Recreation Centre. Telephone 463 5308. Open Monday to Friday 8.30am (Tuesdays from 10.30 am) to 5pm. During term time also open on Saturday mornings from 9am to 12noon.

Karori

Level 3, Gray Block, Donald Street, Telephone 463 5937. Open Monday to Friday 8.30am (Tuesdays from 11am) to 4pm.

Pipitea

Level 2, Railway Station, West Wing, Telephone 463 7474. Open Monday to Friday from 8.30am (Tuesdays from 11am) to 5pm.

Te Aro

Ground fl oor, 139 Vivian Street. Appointment required please call 463 5308. Open Monday morning and Tuesday from 11am to 4pm

the friendly Student Health Service Nurse!

1