February 26, 2007 | by  | in News |

Team VIC gets money, buys stuff

Team Vic, the brand of VUWSA, has signed a sponsorship deal with The Establishment bar to ensure ongoing support for student clubs and activities.

The five-figure deal took place in late 2006 following several successful fundraising and social events held by VUWSA in conjunction with The Establishment.

VUWSA Clubs Development Offi cer Brent Hayward says the partnership will be hugely benefi cial to students, enabling them to have a greater level of participation in clubs, teams and events and assisting Team Vic to provide a higher-quality service to students.

The deal will mean greater subsidisation for students attending Orientation events, as well as providing a high-quality venue for Team Vic events.

“Basically we’re trying to increase the involvement of students and decrease the barriers to participation,” says Hayward. “The concept of Team Vic is basically to encourage student life and to, through VUWSA, offer activities and events which students think are kinda cool and that they can get involved in which won’t cost too much.”

VUWSA teams have previously received sponsorship from outside groups for specific events, but Hayward believes this is the first deal of its kind for any students’ association in New Zealand.

Team Vic was developed by VUWSA in 2004 to support VUWSA-affi liated clubs and has since expanded to support teams and individuals attending events including Uni Games and other inter-university competitions, and to partly fund Orientation events, VUWSA Student Survival Packs, the graduation ball and the Victoria University Blues Awards.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1