February 19, 2007 | by  | in Opinion |

Where (not) to eat on campus

Vicky’s (aka, Mount Street Bar and Cafe)

While you can find the occasional culinary gem between the rows of pies and fries at Vicky’s, most of the time you’ll be paying through the nose. Hey Eurest, a word to the wise: students don’t want to pay $4 for a sandwich, even if it does have sundried tomatoes in it. Lacking other options though, the sandwiches are reasonably good, as is most of the hot food they put out around lunchtime. If, however, you want to pay horrendous amounts of money to clog your arteries, the ‘gourmet’ pies are the way to go. I particularly recommend the kumara and cashew one.

No Meat Please

With its delightfully crappy common-room ambience, No Meat Please is nothing more than Vicky’s mark II – minus the meat. Don’t ever, ever order eat the vege fryup, let alone consume it. Especially on a hangover.

Illot

Skulking in a corner just before the overbridge in the New Kirk building, Illot cafe does do some reasonable food for reasonable prices. While their hot food is to be avoided at all costs for its price and artery-clogging prowess (not to mention the questionable hygiene), the small range of sandwiches, rolls and muffins are great for a quick snack between lectures. The coffee can’t really be faulted, but it’s definitely not outstanding. While quite cramped and often noisy, an Illot window seat overlooking Kelburn Parade at a quiet moment can even be, well, almost pleasant.

Galleria

If you don’t mind risking running into one of your lecturers or paying down-town cafe prices, Galleria is the place to go. While your lunch will be expensive, it will also be of high quality – unlike most of the other establishments on campus. Galleria offers a range of bagels and paninis, and, my personal favourite, Chinese pork buns. The coffee is without a doubt the best that can be obtained on campus, and costs about the same price as everywhere else. The only real drawback: they don’t accept eftpos, so I hope you’ve got some change.

Vending Machines

If you have got some spare change, vending machines are a great source of sugar for those long days of, ahem, studying and essay-writing. Not all of them sell candy- some of the machines in the common room on the ground floor of the Union Building sell instant noodles.

The Quad

The Quad isn’t generally a place to go for food. The dairy there is crap. Only buy food there if your only other option is chewing off your arm. However, the Pizza Napoli is pretty good value, with slabs of pizza with various toppings costing $2 – $3 – making it one of the cheapest lunches available. On sporadic occasions throughout the term, Hari Krishnas come to campus and sell food in the Quad. If you’re a fan of huge helpings of vegetarian curries and salads, served with a side of chanting, then look out for them.

Unistop

At the top of Kelburn Parade, Unistop is a glorifi ed dairy, offering everything from tinned food to pies to coffee. You can get at least two brands of pies there, along with the more healthy alternatives of sandwiches and various packaged food. The coffee is nothing to write home about, but is more tolerable than Vicky’s coffee. You can also get really nice real Asian noodles. Unistop is, however, generally quite expensive for what you get, and at peak times you might find yourself waiting in a huge line. Also, their eftpos is ridiculously slow.

Sweet Fanny-Anne’s

Located just outside Rutherford House on the Pipitea campus, Sweet Fanny-Anne’s offer the general range of café food: paninis, wraps and the like.

Hungry law students should skip the law school cafe and just go there. They even have a breakfast menu if you’re feeling a little worse for wear before class. The coffee is good, and the ladies who work there are lovely – a pleasant change from the grumps at Kelburn.

My personal recommendation, however, is to buy some food from the supermarket and enjoy a picnic in the sun. Try Kelburn park, Hunter lawn, or the deck in the Union Building.

Tired of walking up that hill? We’ve got all the transport info you need…

City toVic: If you’re coming up to campus from the train station, you’ll need to take a number 17 bus. The following buses go from Courtenay place up to Kelburn campus: 21, 23, 22 These trips cost $1.50.

Vic to City: Take a 17, 21, 22 or 23 bus. These trips also cost $1.50. There’s also a campus connection bus, number 18, which takes you all the way back and forth.

Cable Car If the bus is too expensive (or you are tired of taking the wrong one) try the cable car. It’s a chic transport option.
Where: Cable Car Lane, off Lambton Quay.
Hours of Operation: Cars depart every 10 minutes (heading in both directions). Monday – Friday: 7.00am – 10.00pm Saturday: 8.30am – 10.00pm Sunday & public holidays: 9am – 10.00pm.

Piggy back: If none of the above is working for you then ask a Geology student to give you a ride up the hill.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.