March 19, 2007 | by  | in Features |

A Day in the Life

John wakes up on a Monday morning and drinks some Havana coffee on his red and white chequered table cloth. Checking his wallet, he’s thankful for that ironic weekend trip to the dog track. Checking the fridge, he bypasses the stale macaroni and cheese and mouldy meat loaf and instead grabs a Red Bull and some leftover salad for his lunch. Straightening his haircut he got at JAM the week before, he pats his carpet flatmate Janelle’s huskie and bolts out the door. Turning on his black iPod and listening to Tom Waits, The Raincoats and Can he walks to his crummy part-time job in the store room at Warehouse Stationery. He only does it to supplement his artist’s dole – that reminds him that he’s due to report in at Standing Ovation the following week or else the Winz bureaucrats will make him look for a real job.

After work he grabs a snack size pizza from Hell Pizza on Webb Street and darts off to his studio at Toi Poneke Wellington Arts Centre around the corner on Abel Smith Street and with Radio Active blaring out Fat Freddy’s Drop he works on his Sydney Pollack rip-off. Caffeine starved, he wanders over to Fidel’s for a mini-espresso and putting his satchel on a table he reads his dog-eared copy of Albert Camus’ The Outsider.

He checks his watch, he has enough time to duck into a gallery opening at Thistle Hall before going to Happy Bar to hear the latest noise art that he saw advertised in The Package. It was going to be by some emo guy whose music featured on the latest Loop Recordings Aot(ear)roa compilation. John knew that it would be good, but not enough to get him picked up by the Fly My Pretties tour when that next rolled around. His semi-goth femme fatale rock chick girlfriend who has the very suburban sounding name of Sally will meet him there. She’s really mysterious and edgy and wouldn’t be seen dead anywhere near Courtney Place or Lambton Quay. John hoped that someone from Capital Times would be there so he could make it into the social pics yet again. Later on they can pop upstairs to Latinos Bar for some kitsch salsa action. Afterwards it’s a toss up between either going to Havana bar, Mighty Mighty with its Casablanca-like ambiance or San Francisco Bathhouse. Indigo, as Sally still likes to call it, is out as it’s not Tuesday night yet. Instead they settle on getting a film out from Aro Video. Passing Slow Boat Records, John thinks of a vinyl he has ordered, some obscure Belgian techno he’s been hanging out for.

Sally shivers as a southerly blows down the new concrete bypass. Thoughtfully, John takes off his tan leather jacket he bought from Hunters and Collectors and drapes it over her shoulders. Passing the ghost of old Bar Bodega, Sally pops into Yeung Shing’s to get some fried rice while John runs over to Shalimar dairy and picks up a six pack of Bohemian Pilsner.

Arriving via Aro Park they have some very tough choices, either a political film like The Battle Of Algiers, campy sci fi like John Carpenter’s They Live or V: The Series, yet another Akira Kurosawa film, a mod classic like Blow Up or some Italian horror like Suspiria. At the last moment, John instead decides to play it safe and gets out his favourite Kiwi film Woodenhead again and wishes it was Tuesday already as he could have gotten the DVD for half price using his Active card. After the video John thinks it’s deck to turn down sex and cuddles Sally instead as they watch a rerun of The Greatest American Hero on the telly.

John feels relaxed as he has a busy social calendar for the rest of the week: the next night he will be going with Sally to Bats Theatre to watch a puppet show and on Wednesday he will head off on his own out to Lower Hutt to do some op shopping at the Salvation Army and watch an Italian neo-surrealist film at Lighthouse Cinema. Following that on Thursday he and Sally will go to Deluxe Cafe to listen the the Ukulele Orchestra, Friday he plans on going to a So So Modern gig and on Saturday The Flight Of The Concords are back in town. Finally, on Sunday he will need detoxing so he will go to the Hare Krishna place on Vivian Street and have the $3 all you can eat vegetarian meal.

1. Silver Dolphin says:

Seriously, what the fuck is this dreck? Is it a joke?

2. ravenousryan says:

Uhhh, I think its trying to be satirical about defining what kind of person you are through the things and places you go? Meh. Oh perhaps Salient has sold out, and is now plugging Wellington hot spots in return for free stuff.

3. Steely Dan says:

Why Duh?! I think they are trying to be sarcastic about those places, you know a lot of them in of themselves are good places but lump them all together in an American Pyscho kind way for the cool people and it is pretty creepy… I will have to try harder to fit in…

4. Silver Dolphin says:

WOW THAT ARTICLE WAS SO PROFOUND I THINK MY HEAD JUST EXPLODED!!!

1