ACT pushes for VSM on Clubs Day

Petition destroyed by activist

A petition to make student association membership voluntary was torn up by a student activist on Cultural Clubs Day last Wednesday.

Student Choice, a campus group which advocates Voluntary Student Membership (VSM), created the petition in their ongoing effort to make VUWSA membership voluntary.

Two pages of the petition, one of which was taped to the Student Choice desk, and the other being carried by VUWSA enthusiast Nicholas O’Kane, were destroyed by Peace Action Group member Kerry Tankard.

Tankard told Salient that after being a VUWSA volunteer for several years, she was enraged by Student Choice’s attempt to gather support for VSM, particularly at a VUWSA-run event such as Clubs Day.

VUWSA executive members told Salient that VUWSA in no way supports the destruction of the petition.

Student Choice representative Mike Heine said he was furious about the destruction of the petition. “A lot of hard work had gone into the day. We’d been there for three-and-a-half hours, we had a lot of support, and it was all ripped up and thrown out.”

Heine says: “There are a lot of people who don’t see value in what they’re getting or not getting anything, and they’re saying why should we have to join and subsidise others who are getting something, and it’s for those people, and people that VUWSA don’t represent.

“It’s about giving them a choice whether or not they want to join a union. If you have a choice to join a club or a trade union, it’s the same thing for our student unions as well.”

ACT MPs Heather Roy and Rodney Hide were also on campus to promote VSM for student unions and associations.

Roy told Salient that she is in favour of VSM as students’ associations are the only ‘unions’ in the country which have compulsory membership.

Roy currently has a private member’s bill for VSM in the ballot before the House of Representatives.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Jono Newton says:

Is there going to be any punishment of Kerry for her outrageous actions? I can just see it if someone from the other side of the fence ripped up her anti smacking petition or whatever other left wing rant she is on currently!!!!

2. Clint Heine says:

Ironic that she’s a member of a peace action group. How would she of liked it if my bro Mike handed her a plate of whoopass? Luckily for her Mike was bought up not to hit women or people who are like Kerry.

She won’t get punished. But if the profile of VSM goes up on campus we should be thanking her for her actions right up until the day we get VSM introduced throughout NZ :)

1. Second test
  2. test test
  3. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  4. Beneath Skin and Bone
  5. No Common Ground
  6. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  7. Good Girls
  8. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  9. Winter Warmers: About Time
  10. Sex at Dawn