March 26, 2007 | by  | in Music |

An Album You Should Own If You Don’t Already

2 by Letterbox Lambs

Before watered down reggae and easy listening café music were dubbed the “Wellington Sound”, we used to have local bands who took risks and had balls. In the late nineties there was a hell of an exciting scene happening in Wellington. Way before every unsigned band in the country called themselves “indie” to try and seem hip and relevant, there were a bunch of local bands that had taken lessons from the Slint, Dinosaur Jr and Sonic Youth.

The most exciting of these bands – Letterbox Lambs – were also the most frustrating.

The Lambs took around 6 years to finally put out their debut Not a Private Joke, and while it’s a stunning record, it only hints at what this band is capable of. Usually when a band spends six years writing the songs for their first album and then only a couple for the next record you usually get a classic case of second album sucks syndrome, but for The Lambs it seems to be a total reversal.

I’ve had 2 on repeat for the last few years since it came out, and just like the first Lamb’s record it’s never gonna date and if you want to hear rock as it should be before rock became a bad word, get this album.

I don’t know if you can get 2 in shops as I don’t know if it ever got proper distribution, but you can get it from http://www.smokecds.com, and while you’re at it, you’d be a total meat not to pick up Not a Private Joke for only $9.95 on sale from Smoke as well.

Samuel Flynn Scott of The Phoenix Foundation said that 2 by Letterbox Lambs was the best NZ rock record since Shihad’s Killjoy. I’ve always found it wise not to argue with him.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos