Competitors wanted for Uni Games

Team Vic manager Brent Hayward is calling for sporting talent to sign up for the 2007 Uni Games, to be held in Christchurch in 10–14 April.

After last year’s annihilation of the competitors, Hayward says all efforts are being put into defending the shield again this year. Despite the disadvantage of being a traveling team, Hayward is aiming to attract a high calibre of sporting prowess, with team numbers reaching the 400 mark to again take out the title.

Registration closes on the 23rd of March, but students are urged to sign up as soon as possible in order to receive discounts. With 28 disciplines, from beach volleyball to rowing, surfing to soccer, there is a sport for everyone to get involved with.

Despite defying all odds in logistically organising such huge numbers of students, Hayward believes with student support, a quality team can bring home that great shield, affectionately known as “sheildy”, once again. Team Vic have also got behind the drive for success by supporting double what they did last year, with a contribution of $20,000. Along with this grant, the nice people at The Establishment have stepped in once again to help by offering competitors the opportunity to make use of their premises in what is set to be an awesome night of drink specials, free giveaways and awesome live music. Participants are advised to keep the 5th of April free.

The Games will have a strong focus upon sporting rivalry, with over 2000 students from throughout the country competing. However, they are by no means all work and no play.

Social activities are organised throughout the week, as well as the huge opening and closing ceremonies, plus the established local social scene.

To join the team in kicking some serious ass, you need to register interest with Brent Haywood, either by email (clubs@vuwsa.org. nz), phone (04 463 5060), or drop in and see him in his office (ground floor of the student union building) before March 23. Help bring “shieldy” home for another year.

1. My Attention is Broke
  2. WHERE VIRAL DREAMS GO TO DIE
  3. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube