March 19, 2007 | by  | in Music |

Daniel Munro – Psychoanalyse

Psychoanalyse is the debut album from Hawkes Bay based singer/songwriter, Daniel Munro. I must admit, I put this album on and instantly forgot I was meant to be listening to it. Never a good sign.

What this album attempts to be is a musically simple. You know, ‘let the words speak for themselves’. Unfortunately, what it completely lacks is the lyrical depth and integrity to pull that off. I just couldn’t believe or connect to anything he sings about on Psychoanalyse.

At sixteen tracks long, it sounds as if he decided to put every song he has ever completed on this album. Take the track ‘High School’, for example. Is it just me, or is anyone really that gushingly sentimental about those days of secondary school, at the age of twenty-two?

The title track ‘Psychoanalyse’, is another disaster. As he sings “Something’s broken inside, psycho-analyse my mind”, I just get the impression that he is trying too hard to be deep and meaningful.

He is certainly a talented and competent guitarist who can write very good little ditties – but he completely ruins them by slapping painfully cliché-ridden lyrics over the top.

Psychoanalyse also lacks variation. All the tracks open in exactly the same way. At no stage does he go a little country, or a little rock. He just keeps walking that same tightrope of blandness all the way through.

Maybe I’m missing something. Maybe others will connect with his lyrics. And I will say that, if you put it on and don’t listen too closely, it does sound a little like early Cat Stevens. Who I’m not a fan of, but I’m sure many of you will be.

So, as a first effort, I didn’t much enjoy Daniel Munro.

However, the fact that he recently opened for Eric Clapton at Mission Estate, and regularly pulls substainial crowds at The San Francisco Bathhouse acoustic nights, must indicate that there’s something there. It’s the kind of music which everyone takes something completely different from. Myself excluded.

1