Eye On… Council

Last week I attended my first University Council meeting.

The experience was like that of my first VUWSA exec meeting last year – I was really excited and looking forward to the discussion of interesting and newsworthy topics.

Turns out that the Council and VUWSA are very similar, except no one in Council (at time of press) has threatened to kill anyone else or has indulged in petting during a meeting.

So, anyway, after getting a little bit lost in the Hunter Building in my search for the Council Chamber, I ended up sitting in the grandstand seating (later spotting the ‘Media’ table across the room but not bothering to move because there were stairs involved), where I was on the receiving end of funny looks from the old people in suits who make up Council. Although VUWSA President Geoff Hayward probably got more funny looks in his Mr T get-up. That shit was wack.

All in all, the meeting was nowhere near as exciting as I had naively anticipated. Around an hour was spent arguing over who would sit on the finance and audit committees (amongst other riveting committees) before talk moved to increasing university fees.

The fees document was “mistakenly” put in the confidential booklet, therefore I hadn’t read it, which didn’t assist me in establishing what was going on. If you wanna know about it, read the story about fees, foo’.

After a brief adjournment for cake (yus!) it was back into the Council Chamber for some more chit chat about stuff and things. Sadly, we had reached the ‘confidential’ section of the documents, but as a) I had chosen to sit in the grandstand seating and couldn’t hear very well, and b) I was bored out of my tree and completely oblivious to what was happening, I didn’t realise I had to leave until a bunch of the Council members were standing up and looking at me disapprovingly.

Later that night, Salient Feature Writer Nicola Kean and I went to the MyVictoria website launch where Chancellor Tim Beaglehole took the piss out of me for not knowing when to leave. It was slightly embarrassing, but thanks to the free beer I had once again lost track of what was going on.

The night ended with half the VUWSA Exec, Nicola and myself being the last people left in the room, huddled around the food and alcohol in the kitchen. Nicola ate all the beef things on sticks, but stopped short of eating the decorative lavender stalks.

In conclusion, Council is boring but effective and free stuff gets in my tummy, meaning I’m happy, and I hope you are too.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1