Hostel consultation inadequate, say Aro residents

Opposition to a proposed 400-bed hostel continues to mount with local Aro residents accusing the University of keeping them in the dark about plans.

At a recent meeting with the University, residents claimed that consultation with the local community had not been extensive enough.

Many locals also say they didn’t receive leaflets giving notice of the information evening, and only showed up after an announcement in Aro Chips.

However, the University reiterated at the meeting that it was not required to notify consent and consult the public due to the land’s zoning, unless the Wellington City Council specifies that it must do so.

Residential concerns stemming from the proposal included traffic, noise and safety of the community and students.

Fuelling the growth in opposition to the Campus proposal is a recent report that the proposed building will fail to relieve Vic’s accommodation crisis, which saw only 2,352 students out of the 4,177 applications receive University beds this year.

VUWSA Campaigns Officer Tai Neilson predicts that when a greater number of first years move out into flats, there will be even greater competition between prospective tenants than in the current crisis, and landlords will be able to raise rent prices higher.

“[Students] are going to find themselves in an even worse situation than we are now. Landlords will raise prices and students from less advantaged families will suffer and miss out,” says Neilson.

Feedback from both residents and students with regard to the proposal is still being encouraged by the University.

1