March 12, 2007 | by  | in Books |

News of the Swimmer Reaches Shore

I am a rugged bushman bravely chopping my way through masses of thick overgrown vegetation. Or at least that’s how I felt after attempting to read the deceptively thin novel by Gregory O’Brien.

Attempting to make sense of it, I turned to the blurb which informed me that it was “at once a travel book, an autobiographical novel and free-floating meditation on Europe and the Antipodes” and that it “begins with its narrator suspended in the salty, tideless waters of the Mediterranean.” Right. So far so good.

A swimming philosopher. Go on. “Adrift on an ocean of art history, literature and music, of memories and a dream-like present, O’Brien introduces a cast of underwater characters that includes Jacques Cousteau, the French secret service agent Dominique Prieur, Henri Matisse and the naked river-swimming nineteenth- century nun Mother Aubert.” Uh-huh. I think I’m beginning to see what the problem is here.

But still, give me the rest: “Modernism, the politics of French nuclear testing, swimming, drowning and underwater explosions are twined together with the life of a family in an innovative and engaging exploration.” Indeed. I get it now. It’s a book about nothing. Written in a way that’s hard to read.

O’Brien, also a poet, anthologist and art writer, is possibly best known for his collection of essays, After Bathing at Baxter’s, which was published to acclaim in 2002.

I did eventually finish the book and after further battling my way through the dense undergrowth that is O’Brien’s writing, the promised story did eventually emerge. Something to do with a beach and some swimmers. Or something. But then, I could have figured that out from the blurb.

Not for the fainthearted – pack a machete.

GREGORY O’BRIEN

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos