No Sex Ed for Architecture students

The School of Architecture has decided not to distribute VUWSA’s Student Survival Packs to students due to the contents of the bags.

In an email to VUWSA staff, Manager of the School of Architecture Administration Amanda Tonks said: “Whilst I agreed to give out the packs, I apologise but I am now retracting my offer. We do not want to condone the giving out of the VUWSA Sex Mag to the students.”

The Sex Mag is an annually-produced booklet which covers topics including safe sex and contraception, abstinence, rape and sexual abuse and homosexual sex.

Tonks declined to comment on why she took issue with distributing the Sex Mag, telling Salient “[there are] some things in life I would do and some things in life I wouldn’t do… I’m not going into that any further.”

Tonks says it is VUWSA’s responsibility to distribute the packs, and declined to comment on whether she would have carried out her previous offer to distribute the packs had they not contained the Sex Mag.

VUWSA Welfare Vice-President Heleyni Pratley finds it “weird” that the School of Architecture did not condone giving out the Sex Mag, and says “it’s a bigger issue to do with the University being responsible.”

VUWSA will now distribute the packs at the Te Aro campus in line with the School’s wishes.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  2. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  3. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  4. I Lift My Eyes
  5. The H-Word
  6. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  7. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  8. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  9. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  10. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos