O-Week: ‘Raddest yet’

Orientation Week is over, but a fun-filled week of Juliette & The Licks, the Speight’s Suburban Safari, the Hang Over Hangi, and much more is still to come this week.

From many accounts it has been a riot of a week, jam-packed with music, a mix of new and traditional events (such as the Great Debate and SKA-B-Q), liberal sunscreen applications, new friends and, in the utmost tradition of Orientation, taking drinking to the complete excess.

Each day offered new and different bands, such as OdESSA and the Aviators who kicked things off on Monday by playing a free show at the Uni Hall.

All week the Student Union Building deck hosted the Naked Bus lunchtime series, which featured Wayne Anderson, Lindon Puffin and Wing.

The usually-mundane Quad was bustling with energy when it held the sports clubs, cultural clubs and market days.

Mount Street Bar saw the temporary return of the six dollar jug, the campus was full of corporations’ minions thrusting fl yers into students’ hands, there was a hacky competition, bathtub racing and a giant slip-and-slide, belly dance lessons and cheap pizza to name but a few of the things that VUWSA organised.

VUWSA Activities Officer Bernard Bernard Galaxy proclaimed the week to be “the best ever Orientation ever in the history of Orientations at Victoria University”.

Ticket sales and audiences have been greater than in 2006, and, according to Galaxy, Vic’s Orientation is better than those of the other New Zealand universities.

1