O-Week: Goneburger

Vic Ori Kicks Auckland’s Ass – Juliette Lewis

Described as one of Vic’s most successful Orientations, this year’s O-Week will be hard to forget for students and organisers alike.

Performances by international acts such as NOFX and Juliette and The Licks, as well as the pick of New Zealand bands, with Katchafire, OdESSA and The Phoenix Foundation, meant that Orientation was on a larger scale than in previous years, but still ran smoothly according to VUWSA Activities Coordinator Dusty McLoughlin.

“There was a lot more involvement from (VUWSA) exec, volunteers and other staff this year, and also our sponsors really got on board and contributed to the carnival atmosphere that is Orientation,” McLoughlin says.

The daytime programme was much busier than in previous years, with activities from bathtub racing to a slip-and-slide helping to distract students from their classes, and events organised by the Women’s and Queer Officers such as belly dancing and The Big Gay Tea Party also proved popular.

“Watching Mr T on a slippery slide, having a vessel of urine landing on a double-decker safari bus, and seeing members of NOFX dancing to the Mad Professor & The Upbeats were definite highlights,” says McLoughlin.

“But Juliette & The Licks were the definite crowd favourites, and Juliette herself wanted to stay and party after the show.

“She said the atmosphere kicked Auckland’s ass.”

1. Turkish Red Lentil Soup
  2. Dragon Friends
  3. NZ Music Month
  4. Dear White People
  5. You’re Allowed to Watch Shit Films
  6. Flint Town: Season 1
  7. Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside
  8. Some Spicy AF Hot Takes
  10. Love Isn’t Real, Because You Aren’t Hard Enough