O-Week: Goneburger

Vic Ori Kicks Auckland’s Ass – Juliette Lewis

Described as one of Vic’s most successful Orientations, this year’s O-Week will be hard to forget for students and organisers alike.

Performances by international acts such as NOFX and Juliette and The Licks, as well as the pick of New Zealand bands, with Katchafire, OdESSA and The Phoenix Foundation, meant that Orientation was on a larger scale than in previous years, but still ran smoothly according to VUWSA Activities Coordinator Dusty McLoughlin.

“There was a lot more involvement from (VUWSA) exec, volunteers and other staff this year, and also our sponsors really got on board and contributed to the carnival atmosphere that is Orientation,” McLoughlin says.

The daytime programme was much busier than in previous years, with activities from bathtub racing to a slip-and-slide helping to distract students from their classes, and events organised by the Women’s and Queer Officers such as belly dancing and The Big Gay Tea Party also proved popular.

“Watching Mr T on a slippery slide, having a vessel of urine landing on a double-decker safari bus, and seeing members of NOFX dancing to the Mad Professor & The Upbeats were definite highlights,” says McLoughlin.

“But Juliette & The Licks were the definite crowd favourites, and Juliette herself wanted to stay and party after the show.

“She said the atmosphere kicked Auckland’s ass.”

1. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  2. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  3. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  4. I Lift My Eyes
  5. The H-Word
  6. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  7. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  8. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  9. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  10. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos