Pecking Order

• Number of New Zealand’s hottest years since 1850 that have occurred in the last 12 years : 11
  • Ratio of the estimated U.S. cost of ratifying the Kyoto Protocol to the cost of the Iraq war so far : 1:1
  • Number of U.S. coal-burning plants on which construction has begun or been completed since 2005 : 153
  • Minimum number of ExxonMobil-funded groups that have disputed mainstream scientific findings on climate change : 31
  • Number of motor vehicle crashes in New Zealand in 2006 caused by eyeing up attractive pedestrians : 124
  • Number of these crashes which resulted in death : 2
  • Chance that a German would say Israel’s treatment of Palestinians is the same “in principle” as how Nazis treated Jews : 1 in 2
  • Percentage of Germans who say, about the Nazi era, that “one should not always poke around in old wounds” : 60
  • Percentage of Maori families living in severe hardship in 2000 : 7
  • Percentage of Maori families living in severe hardship in 2004 : 17
  • Number of new skin-whitening products that have been introduced to Asian and Pacific markets since 2002 : 189
  • Number of films since 1960 that feature an evil albino : 55
  • Number of the 93 most influential New Zealanders who are male : 77
  • Number who are Maori : 15
  • Chance that a member of an all-white American jury decides a black defendant’s guilt before deliberating : 1 in 2
  • Chance that a white member of a racially mixed jury does : 1 in 3
  • Percentage of Canadians who say that immigrants are a “good influence” on their nation : 77
  • Percentage of Americans and Germans, respectively, who say this : 49, 35
  • Price, from a North Carolina company, for a charcoal-filled seat cushion that absorbs the odor of flatulence : $31
  • Percentage of the odor that the cushion absorbs, according to an outside study : 20
  • Percentage absorbed by the company’s $92 carbon-fiber underwear : 99

Salient needs more Pecking Orders. Please e-mail them to steve@salient.org.nz

SOURCES: 1 Dominion Post, Feb 4 2007 2 David Sandalow, Brookings Institution (Washington)/Scott Wallsten, American Enterprise Institute (Washington) 3 National Energy Technology Laboratory (Pittsburgh) 4 Chris Mooney, Mother Jones (Washington) 5, 6 Dominion Post, Nov 21 2006 7 Wilhelm Heitmeyer, Institut für interdisziplinäre Konflikt und Gewaltforschung (Bielefeld, Germany) 8 TNS Emnid (Bielefeld, Germany) 9, 10 Ministry of Social Development 11 Datamonitor (London) 12 Vail Reese (San Francisco) 13, 14 Listener Nov 25 2006 15, 16 Samuel Sommers, Tufts University (Medford, Mass.) 17, 18 Pew Research Center for the People and the Press (Washington) 19 Dairiair, LLC (Greenville, N.C.) 20, 21 Michael Levitt, Veterans Affairs Medical Center (Minneapolis)

1