Pecking Order

Age of a woman thrown out of her Indian village, after villagers believed the cause of her stomach swelling was because she was carrying the ‘devil’s child’ : 17

• Weight of the tumor the swelling turned out to be : 16.5kgs
  • Number of Kiwis who described themselves as Satanists last year : 1167
  • Number who stated that they have no religion : 1,297,104
  • Total projected cost of the Iraq war per U.S. household, based on a January 2006 estimate : $28,464
  • Years after the start of the Vietnam War that a majority of Americans first said it was a ‘mistake’ : 3 1/2
  • Years after the start of the Iraq War that a majority said this : 1 1/4
  • Minimum decibel level, on average, at which African Americans in a recent study could hear a high-pitched sound : 21
  • Minimum decibel level for whites : 33
  • Maximum distance from a high-power AM broadcast station such that people who have two or more different kinds of filings in their mouths are able to pick up the radio as sound : 70 metres
  • Number of times the VBC told their volunteers they would be launching within a month but then didn’t : 8
  • Number of glasses of wine or sherry that seventeen homeless alcoholics were allowed daily, in a Canadian study : 15
  • Number of the participants who reduced their alcohol intake, quit the study, or died, respectively : 11, 3, 3
  • Percentage of Kiwis who think it is okay to get drunk : 50
  • Rank of New Zealand’s alcohol consumption per head out of 50 countries : 24th
  • Amount of money accidentally given by our government to 40,000 student loan borrowers in 2006 : 140 million
  • Amount of that money, which those recipients who paid off the rest of their loan in 2006, have to repay : 0
  • Percentage of New Zealanders who have group sex according to John Haig (Clint Rickards’ lawyer) : 50
  • Percentage that actually do : 26
  • Minimum number of American universities with their own student-run erotic magazine : 6
  • Number of erotic images in this week’s edition of Salient : 1
  • Year that a Hindu nationalist party in India rechristened Valentine’s Day “Prostitution Day” : 2005

Salient needs more Pecking Orders. Please e-mail them to steve@salient.org.nz

SOURCES: 1, 2 News24.com 3, 4 2006 NZ census 5 Joseph Stiglitz, Columbia
University (N.Y.C.) 6, 7 The Gallup Organization (Washington) 8, 9 National Institute
for Occupational Safety and Health (Cincinnati) 10 http://www.einsteinyear.org/
facts/physicsFacts 11 Salient research 12, 13 Jeffrey Turnbull, Ottawa Hospital 14, 15
www.alcohol.org.nz 16, 17 Dominon Post Dec 21 2006 18 New Zealand Herald March
3 2007 19 Durex Sex Survey 20 Harper’s magazine 21 Page 10 (depending on your
taste) 22 Shiv Sena (New Delhi)

1