Salient Blind Dating

It’s been called many things; a force from above, more than words, and an eternal flame. We call it love and maybe you’ll get some with the help of Salient Blind Dating. Send us an email describing a) what you like/dislike about a man/women, and b) what turns you on, and you will be in the draw to wine and dine to the value of $200 at The Establishment this Wednesday night. Please send to editor@salient.org.nz by Tuesday 5pm.

HER

Before my date I was so nervous that I nearly spewed. I had never had a blind date before, but it was a great experience for me.

After I found The Establishment, none of the staff knew about my blind date with Gregor*, which was really strange for me, and I got even more nervous. But finally, I could meet Gregor upstairs in the restaurant. My tummy was churning.

My date with Gregor was very funny and we had a really good time together. At the beginning, we both were really shy, and English is my second language so I didn’t know much of what he was saying. I didn’t know what to talk about, but after a few minutes, we got on really well. He told me about his courses, his hobbies and his travel experiences, which were very interesting to listen to. He’s traveled in so many different countries, so he knows a lot of the different cultures and natures we have in the world. I learnt a few things during our talk.

We laughed a lot and I was really happy to meet him. Despite this, my stomach was still churning due to my nerves. I’m not so good with new people.

Our big $200 meal was so delicious that I ate too much and I felt really sick afterwards. And then we pashed and I vomited on him. But after a few drinks at the bar I was getting better. Also the waitresses were really friendly and looked after us. They cleaned up my spew.

A huge thank you to Salient, who made this blind date possible and of course to The Establishment, which offered this very delicious meal and made me feel okay about my uncontrollable nerves. Thanks a lot, I really enjoyed my evening! I really hope to keep in touch with him, he is a really nice guy. Also he’s a great pash.

HIM

In the words of our wise friend Borat – the blind date was very nice I like!

I didn’t realise The Establishment had a restaurant, and apparently neither did my date, who managed to confuse the whole bar staff as to why she was there asking for a free meal.

After the initial confusion, we met upstairs and proceeded to eat and drink our way through the night like starving Africans. My date’s name was Liesel*, a foreign student from Switzerland. After the usual boring stuff, like what year are you, what are you studying, yada yada, we got down to the interesting stuff, like how much do beers and Big Macs cost in Switzerland and can you yodel? (Answers: About the same as New Zealand Big Macs, and “no, I’m not gonna yodel for you!”)

Liesel, who seemed a bit nervous, but in a cute way – spent summer studying at a language school in Perth and traveling through Oz and NZ, so we found a lot to talk about without too many difficult silences.

I found it pretty interesting and refreshing to go on a date with someone that was not from the typical NZ ‘straight-from-school-straight-to-varsity-to-do-a-BCA’ mould, and we got on really well. We also found that talking about our experiences travelling, we related really well, and had heaps stories to tell each other.

So we managed to eat our way through entrees, mains and dessert, while also throwing back a few cocktails and beers.

Liesel was really cute and, with the alcohol building up my man-bravery, I leaned in for the kill. Then blam! She spewed on my shirt. However, she was hot, so I didn’t mind. In fact, I’m going to keep that unwashed shirt forever.

After cleaning up, we both met some friends downstairs and carried on drinking together late into the night. I think we got on really well and could be good friends, after that we’ll see what happens…

Well, I had a good night all in all, so a big ‘thank you’ to The Establishment and Salient for the sweet date. The food was delicious, and the staff were also very friendly and helpful, without too many giggles at the awkward blind daters.

* Names have been changed.

1