Student debt reaches $9 billion

National day of mourning to be observed Wednesday

Debt Day, a day to mark student debt reaching the $9 billion mark, will be held on Wednesday.

Known as the ‘National Day of Action’, New Zealand Union of Students Associations (NZUSA) has distributed a campaign kit to campuses around the country.

VUWSA President Geoff Hayward says he anticipates a variety of different efforts from students’ associations nationwide to help raise public awareness that borrowing to live is “actually begging”.

Hayward says VUWSA and Massey University Wellington’s Students’ Association (M@WSA) will be making a coordinated effort on Debt Day, with students heading onto city streets to share with the public the need to ‘beg’ for money “for a glass of milk and a roof over their heads”.

Auckland University Students’ Association will hold “a memorial service to commemorate the death of a universal, free, publicly funded and high quality tertiary education system”, complete with a free BBQ and a band in their quad, and Otago University’s student magazine, Critic, told Salient: “We’re having a party! Balloons and cake, that sort of thing. And a guy running around in our green debt monster suit, of course.”

In previous years, such significant points in student debt have been marked with protests. The first of April marks one year since the Government introduced interest-free student loans. While this move helps students who are studying and those who remain in New Zealand after graduation, the amount being borrowed is increasing and debt continues to grow.

Some help for graduates paying off interest on their loans comes after the Government announcement of student loan interest rates being dropped from 6.9% to 6.8% for 2007–2008.

A bill was also passed last week to amend the student loan framework to include a ‘repayment holiday’ of up to three years for borrowers who are overseas, new repayment obligations, and extension of the amnesty for people having difficult making payments.

NZUSA Co-President Josh Clark says while the interest-free loan policy is “great”, student debt still needs to be addressed and the Government needs to work with NZUSA and other student groups to see what initiatives can be put in place.

NZUSA will continue to put pressure on the Government for universal student allowances, as Clark says it is “unfair that students have to borrow to live” and that it is “ridiculous that students are means tested up to the age of 25” to receive a student allowance.

1. Holden Iscariot says:

Waaaah, maybe it would help if Geoff gave some of his presidential salary (which I have to beg to pay him) to us starving students?

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos