March 19, 2007 | by  | in Film |

The Descent

Like most horror films, The Descent started off terribly, with cinematography that’s reminiscent of a British television show. It begins with a family rafting trip, a car crash killing the family immediately after. A year later, the main character Sarah (whose family has been killed) escapes her nightmares by going on a caving trip in the Appachalian Mountains.

Like most horror movies, the acting was stilted and amateur and there was a lack of character development or plot preceeding the action. This is what you may expect with horror movies but it took at least half an hour before you even worked out what any of the six characters’ names were.

In true horror movie fashion, things only got interesting when the party of six entered the creepy location, that being the bowels of a cave. Macho character Juno, who’s like an Asian Lara Croft, leads the party in gung ho fashion down the wrong cave.

It’s obvious that things are going to get bad and this is emphasised when Sarah gets stuck and starts having a panic attack before she is saved by the stronger Juno.

The mystery soon begins when Sarah sees a skeleton-like figure down a cave corridoor. Disbelief from the other characters quickly drains away as the party are surrounded by a whole lot of goblin-like creatures who promptly kill two of them and split the party in two.

Things soon begin to get absurd as the film goes a bit Dungeons and Dragons like, as Juno starts acting like a barbarian, Sarah acts like a neutral cleric, another hides like a rogue and they all start kicking goblin butt.

Claustrophobia is the strength of this film, however there are too many unoriginal ‘boo’ moments to shock the audience and a plot twist at the end that wasn’t entirely convincing. If you like the sight of six chicks being disembowled by cave monsters, then this film is for you.

NEIL MARSHALL

1. Bionic Master says:

Nar, off the mark on this one. Should seen it when it first came to NZ 2005; now crap like Hostel has reduced it’s impact.

2. Bionic Master says:

Bad review

1. In NZ.
  2. The Party Line ~ Issue 04
  3. Mental Health Wānanga Celebrates Work, Looks to the Future
  4. Sustainability on Salamanca: VUW working on environmental impact
  5. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  6. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  7. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  8. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  9. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  10. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands

In NZ.

: When my mother gave me my name, it was a name she couldn’t pronounce. The harsh accents of the Arabic language eluded the Pākehā tongue. Growing up, I always felt more comfortable introducing myself as she knew me—Mah-dee or Ma-ha-dee—just about anything that made me feel