Vic crap at recycling

University and Gecko anticipate improvement soonish

New Zealand dumps 3.4 million tonnes of waste into landfills annually, and Vic staff and students are being encouraged to help reduce the waste they create, in line with the University’s environmental policy.

Dave Povey from Facilities Management says the University is endeavouring to reduce resource use, waste generation and environmental damage by implementing “sustainable and environmentally sound business practices” in line with its Environmental Policy.

The Policy was put into practice at a recent waste audit at Rutherford House at Vic’s Pipitea campus. Povey says changing people’s attitudes has been the biggest obstacle, and insists that “cost has not been a constraint”.

However, he does admit that finding the balance between sustainability and what is economically viable is important, especially since government funding for recycling is some what limited.

Aaron Packard, President of campus environmental group Gecko, welcomes Vic’s new ‘green’ attitude after petitioning from Gecko for some basic recycling measures led to the start of campus recycling 18 months ago.

Packard applauds the University for taking environmental issues seriously since the Policy’s release, but says “we collectively need to take responsibility for the way we live”, and that, as a university that “makes you think”, staff and students need to be at the forefront of this kind of initiative.

1. Kate says:

I thought the points made in this article were very interesting. Powell seems to share the concerns that many of us have about Vic and sustainability. It’s true that we need to change attitudes to work towards a more sustainable university, and I recommend Vic taking a leaf out of Canterburys book and investing in doing so. the facilities in the geography department there are a cut above and seem to be making a real difference to the output of the universities waste. Thanks Jenna for an interesting article :)

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June