Vic second at uni cricket champs

A team of talented Victoria University cricketers took on three Auckland cricket teams in a round robin last week and came out with a close second place.

Team manager Andrew Morris describes the final match against Auckland University of Technology (AUT) as “extremely close” with only one wicket between Vic and the top title. Morris says the Vic team, selected from clubs around Wellington, are “pretty top level players,” with a number of them representing Wellington at age-group level.

The team played a tough game against AUT, a team which included players who have represented New Zealand at a national level.

Morris is trying to get more universities involved in the champs as the number playing has dropped from six to three over the past few years.

Morris believes the allure of talent scouts will encourage more universities and talented players from Vic to get involved, if only he could get the New Zealand cricket association to endorse the event.

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,