Vic’s dreams for a decade

Becoming a career student now more appealing

The University’s Campus Development Framework, which includes four upcoming major capital projects, is currently in the media spotlight after local opposition to redevelopments.

The framework, created last year to span the next decade, establishes principles for providing space and facilities as well identifying initiatives and actions that help implement Vic’s Strategic Plan and reinforce the values of the University Charter.

The four projects are set for the Kelburn Campus and surrounding area which have been identified as having a particular need for environmental enhancement and more space. These include a Campus Hub, New Teaching and Research Space, Student Accommodation and Connections and Open Spaces.

The Kelburn Campus Hub will incorporate the library, information access and social learning functions to help rejuvenate the Kelburn campus. The Hub will also encompass a central space based in the Quad with food and drink outlets, a staff club, retail, Student Union and student services.

The mothership of all teaching, learning and research facilities will also be established and expanded over the next ten years to accommodate the predicted growth of student numbers. The plans will include a new building as well as upgrading Laby’s specialist laboratories and Cotton’s existing facilities. Post-graduate spaces will also receive a major overhaul.

Creating connections between the buildings and open spaces are also a vital part of the plan. Currently the central circulation system is weak and cramped and doesn’t connect with other vital areas on the University, areas including the Hunter Lawn and Te Herenga Waka Marae. The new central circulation route will flow north to south and link in with the Campus Hub, Teaching and Learning Spaces, Kelburn Parade and the Marae. Ramps will allow for easier and more access for disabled students and staff, and with more areas provided with seating, students will have more places to work, eat, relax and socialise.

The final development is that of a 400-bed student accommodation facility on Fairlie Terrace. This new hostel has already made enemies with Te Aro residents, worried about what it will do to their views and their quiet neighbourhood.

These four new projects are due to completed within the next few years, although starting and completion dates are yet to be confirmed.

1. Joel Cosgrove says:

//worried about what it will do to their views and their quiet neighbourhood.//

According to the residents, they DON’T have a quiet neighbourhood as it is. Has anyone reported on the redevelopment of the boyd-wilson field? That also has jsut as much of an effect on the campus redevelopment as the hostel.