VUWSA’s ass OIA’d

VUWSA has declined an Official Information Act request it received last month.

VUWSA’s 2006 and 2007 budgets, along with its 2006 income and expenditure were requested under the Act in an email on 27 February.

VUWSA declined to release the information on the basis that as an incorporated society it does not fall under the reach of the Act, which is applicable only to government-funded bodies.

In VUWSA’s letter of response, Treasurer Alexander Neilson explained: “the provisions of information disclosure enclosed in the Official Information Act 1986 do not apply to students’ associations like VUWSA. We are an incorporated society and comply with all publicizing requirements under relevant legislation.”

The requestor waited around 18 days to be informed that the information is mostly already publicly-available.

VUWSA’s budgets are available to any VUWSA member (any student) at any time, and can be obtained from the Kelburn VUWSA office or online at www.vuwsa.org.nz. Details of last year’s income and expenditure will be available at the Initial General Meeting scheduled for May 4 following an auditor’s review.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos