VUWSA’s ass OIA’d

VUWSA has declined an Official Information Act request it received last month.

VUWSA’s 2006 and 2007 budgets, along with its 2006 income and expenditure were requested under the Act in an email on 27 February.

VUWSA declined to release the information on the basis that as an incorporated society it does not fall under the reach of the Act, which is applicable only to government-funded bodies.

In VUWSA’s letter of response, Treasurer Alexander Neilson explained: “the provisions of information disclosure enclosed in the Official Information Act 1986 do not apply to students’ associations like VUWSA. We are an incorporated society and comply with all publicizing requirements under relevant legislation.”

The requestor waited around 18 days to be informed that the information is mostly already publicly-available.

VUWSA’s budgets are available to any VUWSA member (any student) at any time, and can be obtained from the Kelburn VUWSA office or online at www.vuwsa.org.nz. Details of last year’s income and expenditure will be available at the Initial General Meeting scheduled for May 4 following an auditor’s review.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Turkish Red Lentil Soup
  2. Dragon Friends
  3. NZ Music Month
  4. Dear White People
  5. You’re Allowed to Watch Shit Films
  6. Flint Town: Season 1
  7. Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside
  8. Some Spicy AF Hot Takes
  10. Love Isn’t Real, Because You Aren’t Hard Enough