VUWTC Seek Party Animals

The Tramping Club (VUWTC) is in search of new members to help them party at the annual Bush Ball.

The Ball, scheduled for May 20, promises a classic night which isn’t about being attractive like most balls. Each year there is a different dress-up theme (last year’s was ‘failed super-heroes’), so cocktail dresses and suits can stay at home.

The Ball begins with an hour-long tramp in the Rimutaka Forest Park to a private hut, where youth and drunken debauchery reign supreme over plaid shirts and rancid smells. The club’s chief guide, Craig Ryburn, suggests leaving alcohol alone until the tramp is completed, after last year’s club turned their one-hour tramp into a drunken nine-hour slog.

The VUWTC also offers students more than a drunken night out; Ryburn describes it as “a great way to meet people” and “something a little different.” The club’s events calendar also includes kayaking, biking, a raft race and a naturalist tramp.

The VUWTC hosts tramps for both experts and total novices, and Ryburn wants to clear up any misconceptions about the group, saying “we are not all weird bearded men that smell funny,” with a healthy ratio of girls and guys and people from all backgrounds.

The club meet every Tuesday at Meeting Rooms one and two in the Student Union Building, and more information is available at www.vuwtc.org.nz.

1. Tim Tufuga says:

I would like to ask whether anyone has considered doing the NorthWest Circuit in Stewart Island in the middle of winter? It is a real dossie I can tell you. I am a past undergrad. from VUW back in the last millenia, in fact, when Salient was on newstand racks which students used to place onto the steps in front of the Central library to sit on and to keep the butts dry. The articles seem very ‘scarfie’ and inappropriately leftish during the recession period in the late 1980s and early 1990s. So now the Bushman’s club is considering the Rimutaka ranges which is close but not really a challenge. I arrived from Brisbane Australia and went straight for Stewart Island and did the NW Circuit renown as a very notorious track to trek, (tramp, as Kiwis call it), during winter when there is not much sunlight and when it is cold, and very wet, but, it is worth it when nearing the end of the eight or nine days trek. But, don’t swim in the water apparently a bloke got chomped by a stray white pointer.

So this is the word from an ex-pat Kiwi from across the Tas, in Brisbane. ps I have lived in Aus for 26years I only went back to go to uni and considered repatriating for about three years.

Ia manuia, ma ia soifua

haere ra, koutou.

Tim Tufuga

1