We’re the Planeteers. You can be one too!

Student environmental groups from various campuses around the country will congregate in Wellington over Easter Weekend for the Aotearoa Students’ Environmental Conference.

While all of New Zealand’s universities have groups devoted to environmentalism such as Vic’s Gecko, these groups have in the past only been able to focus upon local issues, such as recycling on campuses. But with their powers combined, the groups are gonna take Aotearoa’s pollution down to zero.

The Conference, which was only conceived of six weeks ago, will feature guest speakers from Greenpeace and WWF, as well as a number of workshops to teach students how to lead effective campaigns.

VUWSA’s Environmental Officer Tushara Kodikara says the aim of the conference is to create a more powerful environmental lobby group, by focusing the energy of environmentally aware students across the nation on particular issues.

Kodikara says that because the Labour Government is currently expressing concern about carbon emissions, it would be great to coordinate students so that collective pressure can be force action on this issue.

While Gecko’s close proximity to Parliament enables it to easily lobby the government, most other student environmental groups do not have this ability, so better networking should help them relay their ideas to Wellington.

The conference will be hosted in the Green Rooms of the Harper Building on Courtenay Place, from 9am to 5.30pm on April 7 and 8.

For more information, e-mail luciajh@gmail.com by March 30.

Tristan Egarr edited in 2008. He threw a chair once.

1