WRO by-election postponed

Damn you, VUWSA Constitution!

The by-election for the VUWSA exec position of Women’s Rights Offi cer has been postponed due to a constitutional oversight, with the date of the election remaining undecided.

Acting Women’s Rights Officer Clelia Opie was co-opted into the position after the officer elected in last October’s general election, Amy Mitchell, unexpectedly quit before the university year commenced.

The by-election date was originally set for March 21 but has been delayed due to the appointment process for a Returning Officer to oversee the running of the election. According to the VUWSA Constitution, the Returning Officer must be appointed by an Elections Committee 21 days before the election to ensure a transparent voting and election process.

The VUWSA Constitution specifies that the Elections Committee be comprised of former VUWSA Presidents, Vice-Presidents or Returning Officers.

The Committee for the upcoming by-election is to be confirmed this week.

Without the Election Committee’s approval of the Returning Officer, election candidates would be able to contest the process and result, says VUWSA President Geoff Hayward.

VUWSA are also working on a new, “more secure” voting website, designed to avoid the problems that plagued online elections last year where some students did not receive the email invitations to vote.

1. Jono Newton says:

rofl, How does a more secure website, help fix the email problems? That issue was a database problem not a website issue.

God sometimes VUWSA really amuses me, especially with some of the muppets around it this year.

1. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  2. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  3. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  4. I Lift My Eyes
  5. The H-Word
  6. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  7. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  8. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  9. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  10. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos