April 30, 2007 | by  | in Books |

Amazing Alphabetical Adventures

Tony B. Anderson was trapped in a dead end call centre job, all his dreams quashed by yet another soul destroying corporate machine. He managed to find an escape, he dreamed and allowed his imagination to run wild. Instead of coming up with ways to increase the percentage of his efficiency and output processes, improve his phone manner and increase the enthusiasm of the office, he allowed the deep recesses of his psyche to give him the spark of an idea and way out of the madness.

Amazing Alphabetical Adventure appears to be targeted towards children but the whole family including students at mad industrial, human resource production lines like Victoria University can find enjoyment by exploring its wacky pages. Creatively illustrated with loony illustrations, it is full of whimsical alphabetised splurges of Anderson’s subconscious. One more explicit example is ‘telephones, telephones, telephones. Tina talks to telephones. Telephones talk to Tina’.

To say that Anderson was influenced by Dr Seuss would be a massive understatement; like Seuss he has produced an imaginative loony book that taps into common archetypes of the imagination. The alphabetical adventures tell short tales of quirky and eccentric characters stuck in a more stylised tick-tock world that we are all stuck in. It is not surprising that most of the characters inhabiting this world represent disempowered individuals. One hypo burnt out character with bulging eyes is stuck at a clourful xerox machine pushing buttons and putting the copied pages into an out tray. Above her are the words ‘Xeroxes. Xeroxes Xeroxed X-rays. Xeroxes Xeroxed xylophonist X-rays. X-rayers X-rayed Xeroxes Xeroxing xylophonist X-rays’.

If you feel overworked, over studied and want to a chance to recharge your mind you might want to check out Amazing Alphabetical Adventures. Your conscious mind will be grateful because Tony B. Anderson has interpreted the chaos of our contemporary tribal subconsciousness in a fun way.

TONY B. ANDERSON

1. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  2. Beneath Skin and Bone
  3. No Common Ground
  4. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  5. Good Girls
  6. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  7. Winter Warmers: About Time
  8. Sex at Dawn
  9. BANG!
  10. PSC: One Ocean