April 30, 2007 | by  | in Music |

An Album You Should Own If You Don’t Already

according to Salient News Editor Laura McQuillan

Rancid
…And Out Come The Wolves

Although not Rancid’s best album, …And Out Come The Wolves holds a special place in many hearts (including my own) as a catalyst for a love of punk rock.

Wolves is one of the California four-piece’s most ‘release’ CDs, and features some of their most popular, catchy and familiar songs. One of these songs, ‘Time Bomb’, is particularly well-known, as a catchy skanky ska song about a guy with a black coat, white shoes, black hat and a Cadillac.

Other awesome songs on this album are ‘Maxwell Murder’, with arguably the most technical and amazing bass riff of all time, the super-duper catchy ‘Ruby Soho’ (my favourite) and ‘Journey to the End’, a song of the demise of Operation Ivy, the former band of Rancid’s front man Tim Armstrong and bassist extraordinaire Matt Freeman – a short-lived band which changed late ‘80s punk rock and continues to inspire legions of bands today.

One way or another, it is important that you get your hands on this album. It’s more poppy than their earlier albums, each of which has some amazing songs, but is a perfect sampler to slot into your collection.

…And Out Come The Wolves is freakin’ awesome, has captured the hearts and turned the minds of many a 15-year-old and has earned one of the most influential and incredible punk bands of the ‘90s the fame and acknowledgement they deserve.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Turkish Red Lentil Soup
  2. Dragon Friends
  3. NZ Music Month
  4. Dear White People
  5. You’re Allowed to Watch Shit Films
  6. Flint Town: Season 1
  7. Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside
  8. Some Spicy AF Hot Takes
  10. Love Isn’t Real, Because You Aren’t Hard Enough