Another new radio station for Vic

God jumps on the VBC bandwagon

A new radio station, Human FM, is about to hit the Wellington airwaves, broadcasting from Vic’s own Ramsey House on Kelburn Parade.

Human FM is the brainchild of Joel Carpenter, who says he came up with the idea 18 months ago as a “creative outlet for students”, after a music festival.

At the time there was only one student station broadcasting in Wellington, and this seemed disconnected from the student population, says Carpenter.

Since this time, The Victoria Broadcasting Club (VBC) has set up a student station, run from Vic’s Student Union Building, which broadcasts on 88.3FM. VBC Business Director Doug Tereu says it’s “really good that other students who are a part of Vic are finally noticing that there is a niche for student radio and it should be interesting to see how different their programming and music content are from ours.

“We support Victoria University for making a creative move to bring more culture to campus, as long as we have no interference when it comes to transmission and both parties cooperate because it’s better to have two fine products coming out of Victoria University than two products people won’t listen to due to crappy reception.”

With the support of the Anglican Chaplaincy at Ramsey House, Carpenter has been able to expand his highly successful open-mic nights into the radio station. For the Chaplaincy, says Carpenter, getting behind something like this is a great opportunity to ”introduce students to the idea of spirituality” and “remove the generally secular nature of religion, which tends to get ignored at university.”

Human FM aims to “engage its listeners on more than just a basic academic level” by providing forums for discussion on “eco-justice and social issues” says Carpenter. These issues are something both Carpenter and the Anglican Chaplaincy feel very stronger about.

Check out Human FM on 88.1FM

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.