Council to try raising fees

VUWSA President likens Council to “16-year-old girls who watch The OC”

The University Council last week passed a resolution to support an application to raise fees by 10 percent for the second semester of 2007.

The Council will now apply to the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) for an exemption to the Annual Fee Movement Limit (AFML) to allow fees to increase over the five per cent annual limit up to a 10 percent increase.

If successful, the exemption will allow Vic to raise fees for the faculties of Humanities and Social Sciences, Education, Law and Architecture.

Council members who voted in favour of the resolution argued that the University’s surplus is lower now than at the time of the last application, therefore improving the likelihood that the application will be accepted.

The same members argued that Vic’s fees are comparatively low compared to other universities, and that further funding, either from the government or through higher fees, is required for Vic to be able to offer the same quality of education as others.

Vic’s application last year for an exemption was denied on the grounds that it did not meet the criteria.

VUWSA President Geoff Hayward believes that the University will be unsuccessful in its application, telling the Council “the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, while expecting different results.”

New Zealand Union of Students’ Association (NZUSA) Co-President Joey Randall said the Council has “taken the easy road out and focused solely on students in order to increase revenue.”

“This is a failed tactic that serves only to indebt students further and does little to address government underfunding,” said Randall.

“We hope the Tertiary Education Commission has more sense than the majority of the current Victoria Council and rejects their claim for a 5% fee increase as they did in 2006.”

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.