April 2, 2007 | by  | in Music |

Explosions In the Sky – All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone

Nobody does epic, sweeping post-rock quite as well as Explosions In the Sky. I’ve had a real soft spot for these Texan guys ever since a friend introduced me to their last album, 2003’s The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place.

Their approach to instrumental rock is beautiful and simply affecting, and is a sure winner for anyone with an appreciation of thematically descriptive music.

Their recently-released fourth studio album, All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone, is a gratifying though not altogether a groundbreaking step from Explosions. Featuring the same spare, solid drumming and melodic guitar interplay, All Of A Sudden is great, but doesn’t really showcase a band willing to be original with their sound. After three albums these guys have developed their songwriting to a nigh-on formulaic level.

Take album opener ‘The Birth and Death of the Day’ for example; beginning with heavy distortion, delayed riffs and huge impending-doom style drumming, the song then moves through a softly-picked guitar melody backed by pitter-patter bass rhythms before coming to a frenzied, crashing climax after about four minutes. The climax continues for around three minutes, after which the song reduces itself to quiet guitar harmonies and fades out softly.

This quiet/loud/quiet dynamic is relied on heavily throughout the album. In fact, the only real difference in the structure of each song is the time the band takes to move through each stage. The third track, ‘It’s Natural To Be Afraid’, takes almost 13 minutes to get through its various build-ups and crescendos, before (surprise, surprise) fading out softly and ending with nondescript feedback fuzz.

This is not to say that the album is not enjoyable; like their other albums, All Of A Sudden is a beautiful piece of music, combining delicate and fragile melodies with maniacally-grand shattering climaxes of noise.

Explosions have also added the piano to their repertoire (most notably in the song ‘What Do You Go Home To?’) showing that they do possess a slight willingness to develop their sound.

All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone is a nice step from Explosions, but it isn’t a particularly brave or bold one. If you’re new to the band, have a listen to their brilliant first studio release, Those Who Tell the Truth.

1. In NZ.
  2. The Party Line ~ Issue 04
  3. Mental Health Wānanga Celebrates Work, Looks to the Future
  4. Sustainability on Salamanca: VUW working on environmental impact
  5. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  6. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  7. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  8. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  9. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  10. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands

In NZ.

: When my mother gave me my name, it was a name she couldn’t pronounce. The harsh accents of the Arabic language eluded the Pākehā tongue. Growing up, I always felt more comfortable introducing myself as she knew me—Mah-dee or Ma-ha-dee—just about anything that made me feel