Eye On council: Council averts hippy threat with vintage security force

Many attendees were disappointed by the University Council’s incredibly boring and cake-less meeting last week. I myself sat next to a Monty Pythonesque ‘70s Dominion Post journalist and only just fought the urge to crumple on the floor for a nap.

The anticipated presence of a number of Aro hippies in opposition to the University’s accommodation proposal was reflected in the many security guards milling around the building, some appearing to have been pulled out of retirement homes for the occasion.

The snipers hired by the University for Australian Prime Minister John Howard’s recent visit were also rumoured to be out in full force on the roof of the Hunter Building to ward off any trouble.

Three VUWSA exec members joined Aro residents in the grandstand, with Education Vice-President Joel Cosgrove continuously interrupting speakers and having his megaphone confiscated, despite only holding it as a prop rather than using it.

The ongoing saga of the proposed Fairlie Terrace hostel continued, with issues raised by Aro residents and the VUWSA exec, including lack of consultation, transport and itsy-bitsy bedrooms, being addressed.

Turns out that now that three floors have been cut out of the plans, there will only be around 386.5 beds in the hostel, not the original 400, with bedrooms measuring 2.5m x 5m – as demonstrated by VUWSA Education Vice-President Joel Cosgrove last week in the Quad in a taped-out rectangle meant to represent a bedroom, or ‘cupboard’, as he referred to it.

A resolution to apply to the Tertiary Education Commission for a 10 percent fee rise was passed, despite much discussion that the Council should be approaching the government for greater tertiary funding.

Salient feature-writer Nicola Kean snidely commented that Council may be increasing fees rather than approaching the government as some Council members would be unable to complete a protest march to Parliament.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1