April 23, 2007 | by  | in Music |

Grant-lee Phillips – Strangelet

With three hours to kill and a hangover in desperate need of soothing, Grant-lee Phillips latest release Strangelet proved to be the perfect accompaniment to my Cook Strait ferry crossing.

Grant-lee Phillips’ fifth solo release is gentle, pensive, engaging, and musically diverse. Packed full of big ideas, it was a great distraction to the bumpy swells and my throbbing head. He has been around for quite some time in various bands and guises. Outside his singer-songwriter work, he has composed for film/TV, is a visual artist, played the town troubadour on Gilmour Girls and has even dabbled in the art of magic.

His strength, however, definitely lies in his beautifully arranged folk.

A multi instrumentalist, Phillips wrote, arranged and produced all the material on the album, as well as being responsible for vocals, guitar, bass, baritone ukulele and all keys “black and white”. He is accompanied by the Section Quartet, bringing in strings, French horn and an eight-string ukulele.

With this much instrumentation it would be easy to get too full on, but Phillips seems to effortlessly hit the mark, perfectly arranging all instrumentation to complement his richly toned voice.

Strangelet’s diversity is most clear when going from the gentle plucking of the ukulele on ‘Fountain of Youth’ which complements his dreamy, breathy vocals, to the urgency in the Jeff Buckley inspired ‘Chain Lightning’ – where violins create a rhythmic depth and the drawn out electric guitar solo shows his strength as an arranger.

Alt-country styled, subtly Neil Young sounding ‘Hidden Hand’ bounced along with the swells, and the claustrophobic themed ‘Soft Asylum (No Way Out)’ is a straight rock orientated emotive track-fitting as there was ‘no way out’ of my hangover or the wretched boat I was stuck on. However, Phillips’ twelve-track well crafted Strangelet proved to be light relief. Highly recommended.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos