April 23, 2007 | by  | in Opinion |

Pecking Order

Number of complaints of sexual assault made against both police officers and police associates from 1979 to 2005 in New Zealand : 370

Number of police officers involved in cases of police misconduct that are still serving in the force : 17

Number of weeks after the trial of Clint Rickards that the Society for the Promotion of Community Standards asked the Chief Censor to re-examine and ban porn video Big Boob Lesbian Cops II : 2

Number of hours Israeli soldiers in Ramallah broadcast pornography on seven Palestinian television stations in 2002 : 48

Number of incidences of torture on prime-time network TV shows from 2002 to 2005 : 624

Number on shows the previous seven years : 110

Estimated percentage of television static that derives from the Big Bang : 1

Number of African giant pouched rats that Belgian researchers have trained to sniff out explosives : 36

Number of wasps that a U.S engineering professor says he has trained to do this : 3,000

Seconds he says it takes to train each wasp : 30

State grant awarded a Missouri police department’s Youth Outreach Unit two years ago to battle Goth culture : $370,270

Amount the unit returned to the state in April after no Goth-influenced youth could be found to aid : $179,030

Average number of civilian policemen per every thousand square miles of Darfur, Sudan : 7

Percentage of New Zealand gross national index that is donated as development aid : 0.27

Number of years it will take to reach the 0.7 percent target advocated by Make Poverty History, at this rate : 43

Minimum number of yachts that were donated to U.S. charities in 2001 : 527

Average total cost for a U.S eighty-year-old to live out the rest of his or her days on a luxury cruise ship : $312,623

Average cost to live them out in an assisted-living facility : $309,338

Amount of New Zealand taxpayer contributions towards the America’s Cup 2007 : $30,000,000

Amount of New Zealand’s net worth that is owned by the richest 5 per cent and poorest 50 per cent (respectively) : 38, 5

Chance that a university student expects to be a millionaire by the age of 40 : 1 in 2

Ratio of the number of pardons George W. Bush has issued to turkeys to those he has issued human beings : 2:1

Days after Helen Clark met George Bush that she said he is a clever and smart man : 4

E-mail Pecking Orders to editor@salient.org.nz

SOURCES: 1 Commission of enquiry into Police conduct 2007 2 Bazley report 3 Salient research/ Dominion Post April 3 2007 4 LAW (Jerusalem) 5, 6 Parents Television Council (Los Angeles) 7 Adrian Lee, University of California (Berkeley) 8 Apopo (Antwerp, Belgium) 9, 10 Glen Rains, University of Georgia (Tifton) 11, 12 World Trade Center’s Association 13 U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (N.Y.C.) 14, 15 stuff.co.nz/Salient research 16 Harper’s research 17, 18 Lee Lindquist, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine (Chicago) 19 www.marketnewzealand.com 20 Statistics NZ 21 The JOBTRAK Corp. (Los Angeles) 22 The White House (Washington) 23 Salient research/stuff.co.nz

1