April 23, 2007 | by  | in Opinion |

Pimp My Student: Extreme Welfare Makeovers

This week: Hans and His Little Friend

We found this poor, struggling BA student in the gutter, and we were shocked and appalled at his tragic state. He had been wearing the same skivvies since first year.

His only companion was a strange little finger puppet, who was his best friend and helped him feel less alone. Luckily, his lack of shoes was not too much of a problem as his hobbit feet prevented the worst of the frostbite. Not only was he cold in his shabby student apparel, he was also in dire need of a good feast. He was surviving as a student, but only just.

The VUWSA Welfare Pimp My Student team took him in. The mission was simple: to make this poor young student street worthy. Firstly, he was showered down with a big hose; a rather important and relatively painless task that many young students seem to forget, but should endeavour to do daily. The team then took him shopping for some sweet new threads. With a somewhat tight budget, they had limited options.

The Salvation Army Family Store is where they ended up. The low cost and stylish options astounded Hans. He regretted not shopping there before, and now insists that every student should try the Sallies – and other opportunity shops – before the worst of winter arrives and all the good Polar-fleeces have been snapped up.

So, Hans was looking clean and feeling warm, but he was still terribly hungry. This was an area that the team could definitely help him out with. As it was Wednesday, he could grab some free bread from the VUWSA office. What’s more, because he had no money for food, he also received a Food Bank parcel. Now he will be safe on the street.

If you’re down and out, need some advice, or don’t have enough money for food this week – come and see Heleyni or Jenna at the Welfare Office. We can help you out. If you would like to be pimped like Hans, e-mail wvp@vuwsa.org.nz

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties